Wireworkers.org.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

[img]

hope this worked

this is a pendant i found somewhere online. i want to learn how to make this.

i have numberous tutuorials, books etc on prong rings, but i still cant figure out how to make this pendant.

if anyone can help please post or send me an email etc.

thanks[/img]

Christy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 pm

christy wrote:
i agree, then they can charge more if people know its not as hard as it looks then they wont be able to. i like the simpler the better. i guess because then i can wear it a few times and people dont say, hey you are wearing that piece again.

i like your work.

are there many places in indiana to look for stones.

ive only passed thru the state and been to areas near chicago.

where is a good place to take the kids and look for stones, my son is into rock collecting. wonder where he gets that from.

maybe ill teach him wire wrap, he can probably do it better because hes younger. Coif LoL

well, Indiana is about the worst place on this planet to look for stones. we have (14 miles thick) nothing but limestone. This may have a small florite pocket somewhere once every 50 miles or so, so its not recommended to look for anything in indiana. Sure, if you want worthless geodes, from indy south to louisville, pull over next to a stream, and look around. they arnt worth your time to pick up, mainly cause they have no agate or chalcedony inside, nothing to carve, just hollow filled with micro quartz, or calcite(yucky). some people love to pay money for them, cause they have no idea they are located in their back yard. haha, cept im not the one selling them.

A rockhound guide(usually found in a pile of dusty books at a rockshow), will tell you where to go for everything you may want. the middle of the country isnt great for rocks or gems, but if you want my ultimate rockhounding tip, its simple. Drive the kids to arkansas, go past the diamond mine(not really, its further south), and get your wagon down to Mt.Ida(2 hours west of little rock). Quartz crystal capital of the country.

20$ a day, keep all you find(my record is 5-5gallon buckets full), which is enough quartz to cover all flat surfaces in your house, give plenty to friends, wrap up while practicing wrapping, and carve if you wanna get psycho like me about rocks. To my defense, if you have ever seen what humans can do with carving crystals, you would understand. Quartz is the ultimate practice gemstone for lapidary, its actually sort of soft when it comes to diamond carving.

If you want to get the little ones started in it all, buy old lapidary journals, order a few pounds of soapstone from a dealer(I can help you out with that), give the kid a vacation to dig their own( words cant describe the fun of picking up a million year old crystal, and keeping it for life), and when the child has carved the soapstone into something cool, and polished it up very nice like, then you should invest in a foredom(not a frikin dremel), and hook the little michealangelo up with some diamond bits. The worst that can happen is you get free jewelery for the rest of your life. The best that can happen.....cover of lapidary Journal by the time they are 20( I got a late start, hence why I havent made the cover yet, my parents valued christ a little more than rocks). tmi.

Razz

To be completely honest, brookville indiana has a super sick roadcut(hwy1, off hwy74 near cincinatti,6mi nor from 74).
about a dozen species of fossil can be found there, just by looking down, as the whole roadcut is full of it. I have found 55 trilobites there over the years, and a jillion of everything else(brachiapods,crinoids,horn corals,bryzoans).

here is a sick trilo I found a few years back, I think it is a phacops, but dont quote me...

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:06 pm

This isn't exactly the same but you might like:
http://www.rockhounds.com/rockgem/articles/wirewrap.html

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:12 pm

know of any places in virginia, near norfolk??

i might be heading that way in the fall. probably flying though.

i dont know too much about rocks except some names and that they are beautiful.

i would assume they are near mountains??

which is my guess to why illinois and indiana dont have that much.

i have been to a copper mine in connecticut. its near a prison. had i known that 5 years later, i would be into this stuff i would have paid more attention.

thanks much for your help.

Christy

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Am I being ignored here? Was that link of any use?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm

I agree with you that my chain maille peer group are always there to lend a hand in any way shape or form. I have asked for help and always found someone to get me through the rough spots. I wouldn't be where I am today. My skills have evolved amazingly but not without help. As for the wire workers on that "other" forum saying they learned all by themselves through trial and error and experimenting. PLEASE give me a break! IMHO no one is self taught! You have to learn from someone. You can also learn by practice and experimentation but you have either read books, looked at tutorials or whatever that are written by "someone"!

Stone Nomad, your wire wrapping is amazing! I really love this art form a lot next to maille. It's taking time but I'm learning with the help of Remy from www.studiolheath.com. She's a real sweetheart. No question from me goes unanswered. Even though I paid for a tutorial from her, she has gone out of her way to explain everything to me via emails down to the last detail. I would buy a tut off of her again. I don't need those other know it alls from the "other" forum to help me. They are so full of themselves. Who needs people like that! I just finished a little wire worked pendant that seemed to take forever but I just winged this one all by myself and it turned out quite nice. I will post it later.

Diesel

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:15 pm

[quote="christy"][img]

hope this worked

this is a pendant i found somewhere online. i want to learn how to make this.

i have numberous tutuorials, books etc on prong rings, but i still cant figure out how to make this pendant.

if anyone can help please post or send me an email etc.

that one should be pretty simple, you can buy all the parts necessary from rio grande. fun part is, they should all fit together nicely, since they are all calibrated. 5 carat amethyst, and a prong mounting to match, just polish up the mounting, drop in the stone, very carefully push the prongs into place. they have a million styles to choose from, and a million faceted gems.

If you want to be silly about it, mine some amethyst, facet it(1500$ faceter, 500$ saw), fab some silver into a custom mounting(5$ silver, 400$ silversmithing tools, 500$ torch set-up), polish with foredom(250$), cut your mounting notches, set the stone and close the prongs.

no problem. other than taiwan will sell you one for 10 bucks american, done.

jewelry class should have everything you need except the faceting unit and stone cabbing supplies.

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 pm

Diesel that link doesn't work, is this the right one?
http://www.studioheath.com/

Someone please answer me this time!

Maille Code

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks for the link. i have all of her books, but until now it didnt occur to me that if you just squeeze the wires, they would make prongs.

ill give that a try this week maybe.

gotta go to a sewing club, we are making a quilt for a members husband who has cancer.

then gotta finish my dontations for a senior pet support charity event thursday.

in case anyone wants to donate something here is the site.

http://www.petsupportforseniors.org/

it is a friend of my neighbor who started this organization, so i wanted to help out.

thanks

Christy

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Am I being ignored here? Was that link of any use?

not bad really, theres the basics of it. from there, just extend the tendrils and do things with them. If only grandma could have figured that out....

none of the uber wrapps are super difficult, but im not there yet.

practice the egyptian coil, its fun, expensive as hell(how did you get that much silver into a piece that small?), and looks like a million bucks. its not hard to do either, much like making coils for maille.

Thanks deisel, but I can show you 10 mistakes on each piece, so really its all learning at this point. I could have sold each one of them for more than they were worth in the last 3 months, but I chose to keep ahold of them, as the first 5 should stay in the collection for life.
a true artist is never completely happy with their own work...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:52 am || Last edited by jfair314 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stone Nomad wrote...

Quote:
a true artist is never completely happy with their own work...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. My wife is always getting one me about criticizing my own work. She just refuses to be objective unless she has an idea about a design.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Posted on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:17 am

We are obviously are own worst critics! I'm really anal about closures and how things are put together. I strive for perfection. Sometimes though I just get this gut feeling that the piece I'm working on is amazing(not bragging or anything) and I'm usually right!! Doesn't happen very often but when it does I know because my self esteem shoots through the ceiling and I know I've just upped my learning curve a whole bunch!!!! There usually really off the wall, different ideas and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but when they work YEEHAW!!

Diesel

BTW: It's good to make mistakes. We all learn hopefully from them.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:55 am

Can't remember if I posted this tut before or not....it's a simple taper wrap, and for those interested in showing the stone more than the wire work, it's a humble but still very nice technique...24-22awg round wire. Doesn't take years of practice, although with some imagination, variations are a possibility.
http://charlieschaincraft.com/tut_wirewrap.html

Kodiak-

Yep, sorry, I did post it before....oh well.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 57

Posted on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:41 am

you have and I love it Very Happy
no reason to say sorry I was so happy to find it the first time and I'm sure there will be others who missed it who will be thrilled to find it

Posted on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:02 am || Last edited by wired on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hey Diesel don't get your panties in a bunch. The technique is called Soumak and I have also seen it called rainbow wrap. Here is a tutorial for the technique and a explanation in the other link. Just do as Draco in the second comment on the first page of this thread says to do. Good luck with learning. Don't be so whiny if others won't help you, someone else will. Try using self reliance before going to others. Use others as a last resort.

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next