size for shirts
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 1

size for shirts
Posted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey there

I have been asked to make two shirts both for children one is for 4 – 5 year olds and the other is for 10-12 year olds the one for the 4-5’s I am making out of 9mm Zink coated rings (battle-merchant.com) and the other from Hs3 8mm ring (armchair armoury). Ok to the point as I know of no kids of this age could any one please tell me measurements that I will need.

Thanks all the best

Fowler

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 am

Just a thought but for small children wouldn't it be better for you to make the shirts out of aluminum instead of steel, considering the weight factor?

Posted on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks tattooteal for your concern,

I have indeed thought of the weight factor plus I have had to factor in other things like cost for example as for the weight … the fact that the inside size of the rings are 9mm this means that there is more coverage but with less rings this lessons the weight, that and the fact the person who is paying me when I gave him the different prices for the links said that the aluminium were far to expensive yet he is willing to pay £5.50 per thousand for the hs3 however this is a man who thought that if I made the 4-5 shirt out of 6mm it would be lighter because of the size of the rings.

But maybe I have been looking in the wrong places and if you know of were I can purchase cheep aluminium ring then that would be a help.

Fowler

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:18 am

I buy my aluminum wire from tractor supply here in the states, price isnt to bad, cheaper than anywhere else i have been able to find it, maybe you could check at some sort of farming supply shop, but im sure even if you find a store that carries it, the aluminum will still be more expensive than the steel. Also you are correct if you make the rings larger it will make for less wire used making it weigh a lot less. If and when you do make these shirts do you plan on posting pictures of the final product i would like to see them.

Have a great day

Posted on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:13 pm

I will have a look. Also once I have finnished them the I will let you know when I have posted photos of them.

thanks again
Fowler

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:19 pm

i too have bought aluminum from tractor supply, but that type of aluminum makes a ton of black rub-off, making it bad for clothing items because it gets black on whatever is underneath it if you wear it long enough. if you want to go aluminum, see if you can get a hold of some bright aluminum.

also as far as shirt sizes, the general rule is chest measurement plus ten inches, even with a child you should probably still have close to that full ten inches i would think just because shirts need that extra room for breathing and getting in and out of the thing

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1