Knitting Steel
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Anybody out there read this book and willing to review it?

I'm new to the art and interested in learning more. I also believe in supporting those willing to teach, but I haven't found a review of this book and I'd like to make sure it's worth the investment.

Thanks!

I read a paragraph article on what is inside the book, and it seems that you could actually find more on this here website for free! From the looks of things it's just a collection of weave instructions, wire gauge charts, and tool information, all of wich are very well covered in M.A.I.L.
I suggest poking around the weaves and article sections for awhile, you'll most likely find anything you could ever dream of (For FREE!) there is also a few, not many, but a few more weaves in the old weaves section at http://mailartisans.org/old/weaves/index.html
Hope this helps Smile

The road to happyness was torn down to make space for a corporate giant.

Thank you for the info.

From what I could find on it, I couldn't tell how much was actually in the book. I suspected that the amount of info here and at a couple of the other boards would equal or surpass what was in the book, but I figured I'd ask - just in case.

I guess I'll save my money and spend it on more rings.

glad to help. I saw a picture of the book, it was about 30-40 pages. I wouldn't have paid more than maybe 10-15 bucks for it.

Submissions: 83

My impression is it's the sort of thing you might want if you
1) Know the author
2) Just want to have every bit of maille everything
3) Want to have a non computerized teaching aid to use in situations where you or a student can't go online.
4) Just for the amusing maille related songs.
5) You're not someone reading this or any other post online.

But, and admittedly speaking as someone whose information about the book comes other then having a copy myself, I think the sort of basic instructions are probably not much better then the free information available not only here, but at many places around the web. If you have already advanced so far that you can even be asking this question on a maille web board, you already know too much to really NEED the book as a teaching tool for yourself.

That being said, if you happen to have the ready income on hand, it might be neat to have a copy at least for reason 2 on the list. Smile

Well now I am in a pickle.

I do have the sort of personality that likes to have non-computerized info. So far I've been printing interesting topics and sticking them in a 3-ring binder.

I also like to have lots of stuff on whatever topic I'm learning about...

And, I haven't seen any maille related filk songs...

Hmm sounds like at least three of the reasons you suggested....

Urgh. I was getting all set to be happy without the book, now I'm thinking about it again... another reason is that I *love* books.

Oh well, I guess I just gotta cipher on it for awhile and sooner or later I'll either get it as a present, decide to buy it on my own, or realize that while it may be cool I don't really *need* it after all.

Sorry for the kvetching, thanks for the input. I'm gonna go practice now...

I'm making a Byzantine waist chain out of jump rings I found at a local craft place. After I get good at it, I'm going to make the real one out of half hard silver - I think -- for a lady friend who thinks it's pretty. The reason I said I think is that I've read that nickel silver may be a better material because it doesn't tarnish. Any suggestions?

Oh yes, what do you think would be a reasonable size/gauge for the rings on such a piece? And do you have any suggestions for how to fasten it? I saw a necklace that had a large loop at one end and a long bead on the other that just fit through the loop. It was kind of nice, but I'm still thinking and looking for good ideas.

End of ramble. Thanks again!

Submissions: 1

"I've been working on the chain mail/ All the livelong dayyyy/ I've been working on the chain mail/ Just to pass the time a-wayyyy/ See ye not my pliers gleam-ing/ Watch me weave them rings/ Hear ye not my lady scre-e-aming, "Will you put a-way those things?!"

--ancient SCA filk. Anybody who can't figure the tune ain't no true Amurrican.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 5

I have the book, and use it as a teaching aid. Not all of my 'students' have web access and are more comfortable looking through a book. I think I have bought most of the "how to" maille books that have come out in the last ten years. Then again, I like books. I also keep hard copies of all of the useful web-pages I have been to. So many of them disappear after a few years, and that is damn annoying!!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1