Airport Security
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Airport Security
Posted on Tue May 16, 2006 12:56 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok anyone have any newer lists on airport security. I am about to leave on a trip and I pulled the newest list I could find and from what I can see my 6" pliers will be ok but I wanted to double check if anyone had any newer information as the list I could find was last updated in early March.

Posted on Tue May 16, 2006 3:27 pm

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml

That is the link to the TSA publication on what is and isn't allowed.

I recently flew to Phoenix and had no problems bringing my 6" pliers on the plane.

Hope this helps

Submissions: 10

Posted on Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Over four flights, twice I've slowed down the security line because of what was in my backpack.

Midway Airport, January 2006
Security guard (to a manager): This guy's got pliers in his pack.
Manager: They're shorter than 7 inches. Let 'em through.

Denver International Airport, March 2006
Security guard (to another guard): This isn't right. Look at the tools he's got in there.
Me: Yep. Eight set of pliers, all of them under 7 inches, used for making jewelry.
Security guard: We're going to have to take a better look.

I figured that they were going to search the pack, but they just ran it through the machine a 2nd time.

Average delay: about a minute

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Submissions: 51

Posted on Tue May 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Does any one know anything about pliers smaller than 7 inches in overseas flights?

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Posted on Wed May 17, 2006 12:39 am

thanks alot that was the list I had seen just wanted to make sure it was stil current and such.

Posted on Wed May 17, 2006 10:12 pm

I've flown a few times between Detroit and NYC and haven't had any problems. One guy took a good long time looking at my bag in the x-ray machine and then kinda gave me a weird look, but didn't say anything. I think it might have helped that I had a containner of raw rings and a half-finished bracelet in the same section of my bag. Coif Smiley Though I haven't tried it at the smaller airport near my house and the people there are incredibly anal about everything so I dunno. If they question you, mention you read the document and are sure everything is within regulations. If they still give you crap, remember you have the right to mail anything to yourself.

Sorry, I've got nothin on overseas flights. But I'll know at the end of August Very Happy

"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Submissions: 29

Posted on Fri May 19, 2006 9:47 am

I too heard that pliers under 7" are all good. I'm going to fly from philly to florida on the 20th of june and I'm taking my 2 flatnose pliers and rings, so I'll post again on how it went. Its not just the security I have to worry about though, if I hold us up to long, my g/f is gonna flip on me, specially if we miss our flight. (I'm going to Disney World with her and her family) However, the lure of mailleing on a plane and the story somewhere here i read about a guy selling 7 bracelets to stewardesses is just too much possible orppotunity to resist. I'll have to print out more business cards to. Smile Needlenose Pliers

"Whoever said anything is possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door..."

Submissions: 30

Posted on Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 am

I was at a music festival in Ottawa on the weekend... we wound up getting a guided tour of the parliment buildings.... I just -happened- to be wearing my pop tab vest. It was interesting, handing the pre-metal detector person two handfuls of pocket contents, then walking through the metal detector, saying "It's gonna beep anyways...".....

I just happened to be wearing a conventional vest over the pop tabs, so when the manual scanning guy scanned me, my entire side beeped... one big beep. heh. You guys should have seen the look on his facer before I showed him what I was wearing... lol.... it seemed like he thought I was smuggling an AK-47 in my shirt, and the upper half of my pants...

But anyways.... They confiscated my shirt, my pliers, and my belt...
They left me with my bags of rings (Good for knocking people out with, BTW... ) all my permy stuff (They had to) and all my other pocket junk. Also, the nail behind my ear remained untouched...

They took my belt! Argh... I had to hold my pants up for the whole tour... it was kind of annoying, actually...

But yeah.... that's my experience... it seems lioke if you explain that your shirt is made of metal, they won't search you as thoroughly or give you a hard time... I may have just got a friendly bunch, but still....

Has anyone else worn one of their shirts through a metal detector?

-Sir Slash

Submissions: 77

Posted on Tue May 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Did you get them back when you left? Seems like if you didnt then losing a whole shirt to security is something you would create your own thread to rant about.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue May 23, 2006 6:12 pm

I went over to Europe this last summer, but didnt try taking pliers with me on the plane. A few years ago (close to 9/11, so things might have chnaged) I flew down to flordia. Before i got on the plane to go, the security guys found a pair of like 3 inch pliers buried under the lining of my bag. I hadnt even known they were there...must have snuck in the last time i had used that bag for maille. I let them keep 'em, but i held up my group for like 10 minutes in the confusion.

I dont know if this helps at all. I myself wouldn't chance it, but then I had been aprehensive about taking maille on ski club trips...

I'd like to hear how that works out for you. Best of luck selling stuff on the plane!

Kait

PM or email me for info on Michigan Renaissance Festivals if you're curious.

"A mind that has been stretched will never return to its original dimensions"

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious"

nightsmaille.bravehost.com

Submissions: 19

Posted on Wed May 24, 2006 12:29 am

I once walked through a metal detector in D.C. with my stainless byzantine bracelet on and it didn't go off. Later at home I found out that stainless steel isn't magnetic! o.O

http://chainmaillebookproject.ninjatails.com/index.php --Please contribute! Existing members, put this in your signature to increase publicity!

Submissions: 54

Posted on Wed May 24, 2006 4:10 am

I just so happen to work for the TSA and I take my tools into the place almost everyday for my lunch break. I little advice, I send them through all by themselves so there is no question of how big they are. Just put them beside your other stuff and with most screeners there should be no problem.

Long talks with the dial tone...... Silverstein. Aphrodisiac jacket.... lobster telephone?.... The Cult. All I wanted was a PepsI..... Suicidal Tendencies. I want to be a cowboy..... The Vandals

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed May 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Tesserex wrote:
Did you get them back when you left? Seems like if you didnt then losing a whole shirt to security is something you would create your own thread to rant about.

Interesting side-story on this one... yes, I did get it back, but the buckets they usually put people's belongings in could not contain a PT shirt. Someone had to carry it up bucketlessly and keep it on top of everyone else's bucket things.... kind of fun...

-Sir Slash

Posted on Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 pm

ok. ended up just checking my stuff though every securtiy guy I talked to said they wouldnt have been a problem in the least. as long as it is under 7' they arent gonig to care.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 pm

Slash wrote:

. Also, the nail behind my ear remained untouched...

An earring, or one worn like a pencil?
What rings did you use for your shirt slash, ferrous metals? I thought that alu. didn't set off metal dectors.
I set off a metal dector at an ER entrance with my shoes once. They didn't give me any hassle about either.
Metal belts can be logically classified as weapons.

A wise man cannot be insulted, for the truth is not an insult, and untruth is not worthy of notice.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next