Chainmail shirt armpit help!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

Chainmail shirt armpit help!
Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:36 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me here. Im half way through making my hauberk and am now up to making sleeves for it but cannot figure out how to do the armpits. I've got the barrel around the chest and the strap over the shoulder done to yield a 'D' shape for the arm hole. I could connect the sleeve pretty easily but just want to be sure I'm doing it right. If anyone has any Pictures that show how they have done it I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:09 am

A few ways to do the sleeves/armpits.

1. A barrel: connect a tube.

2. Do the round part of the 'D', then taper the flat part of the 'D' by some method. I've tried tapering one side /|, and tapering both sides /\, and I prefer tapering one side only, just my thing. Here's an example of tapering one side, and I like the overall look of the finished product.

Sorry I didn't show a closeup, but it just gets confusing with the back of the shirt showing through.

3. Pinch it off. This can be accomplished by extending the shoulder section out until the flat part of your 'D' hole is all gone, leaving a straightforward tube setup like #1 without any right angles to mess with.

Submissions: 25

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:41 am

Oooo don't look at me, I'm still fighting with mine. I should have gone with the 90 degree stitch on option.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:03 pm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

Section 4.2 Hauberk. Open-hang sleeve, pretty much like the one in Eugenio's pic.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1