Beasts of war
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Beasts of war
Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:11 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello, I am a new member to this site however I've been using it for help for a while. I run/organize a small group for general medieval stuff and sword play with boffer weapons. I list the swordplay separately because several members come dressed as Jedi or Klingons with boffer weapons to match. It was a person who used to be in the group got me started making mail before he moved away. I've been working with mail for about three years now, and I've done many projects. I've made coifs, jewelry, belts, shirts of all descriptions, and many other things, however I was recently asked to make some chain mail amour for his horse and maybe for a camel. I can't find so much as a good picture of some, let alone a pattern for one and he doesn't even know what it should like.

Can anybody help me with this? I'm open to any suggestions.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:21 pm

find a horse and do regular fittings..

make a bit and then test it.. repetatively.. as for a camel.. i hope you're a maille wizard cause that sounds scary.

if you can't find anything from our users here, you might try at theringlord.com forum, they have a larger userbase.

also could some mod move this to the knitting circle? and... could i have mod access blaise? i never thought i needed it but i've seen a couple examples recently where i could have done some work and left it for others for lack of access.. of course we'll have a pile of new mods when i return next... either way.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:19 pm

welcome to MAIL! i envy your project. i've wanted to make some horse armore for a couple months now but lack the horse to make it for. perhaps in a couple years when i move.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:01 pm

Believe me, making armor of any kind for any animal (except maybe for a dog or cat) isn't as fun as it would seem. I made plate barding for my friends belgian horse, Competition grade (12g steel minumum, but I used 10). The leg, chest and butt armor was pretty easy, but the chanfron(face) was a real Beach. For the most part animals are more difficult to work with becuase not every animal will stay still enough to measure.

My respects to anyone making any large pieces of chainmail for a horse. Camels on the other hand... Surprised

Maybe I'll make some armor for one of my dogs.

"Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ringing it could be anybody, but a ringing phone has to be answered dosn't it?" - The sniper in Phone Booth.

Twice voted most likely to attempt world domination...
You think mailing is tough? Try making chanfron for a Belgian.
Number of threads killed: 4

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:49 am

I have a friend who is planning on making chain for a horse, he was going to do stripes of aluminum(weight being an issue) and then a row of stainless for steingth, but I was thinking, wouldn't you need to have the rows of stainless conected too. The idea being that the aluminum would only have to hold the wight of the rings down to the next row of stainless, then the stainless would hold every thing below that.

Posted on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:59 am

Let's apply the "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" theory to this - if you have an entire row of aluminum then that row will support everything below that. So rows towards the top end up supporting a lot more weight than those at the bottom.

You may wish to alternate in the row between aluminum and stainless so that it alternates in "columns" - which would make the hanging weight be more evenly distributed throughout the steel.

If this is a dumb idea... feel free to say so Smile

Yes, it hurt.

Posted on Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:16 am

that's what I was thinking too, so I was thinking to do this with the stainless...

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
((...................((.................((
))...................)).................))
((...................((.................((
))...................)).................))
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Posted on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:31 pm

lemme find the link and ill post it

-jenga

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Posted on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:03 pm

heres some plate:
http://www.ruble-enterprises.com/image_page/horse12.jpg
ill keep looking for chain

-jenga

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:18 pm

Annother option would be to do the upper section that bears the most weight in stainless and the lower sections in aluminum. Coif LoL You may even want to do the aluminum section in anodized so that you don't get uneven color drift with use.

Posted on Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 pm

i think the columns, along with a bit of stainless at the top would work. if you're rich, use titanium for all of it. Laughing

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:21 am

Make the whole thing out of stainless. The horse can handle it. The only question is if the person putting the armor on it is strong enough, but I have confidence that someone could handle it. Maybe mounted and with someone helping, if you really wimp out.

Personally, I would LOVE to steal one of my uncle's Fresians and make some armor for it. A Fresian in armor is a sight to behold.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:42 am

even if it is too heavy for one person to lift, you are likely to have a couple other people around. like someone to make sure the horse doesn't move while the dressing is taking place and a few other people to make sure nothing bad happens. so one of them could help with putting the maille on.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1