For the love of chain, HELP!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

For the love of chain, HELP!
Posted on Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Will someone PLEASE help me, im trying to find first of all, a place in northern uttah that i can get stainless wire from and second of all, i currently only have the available tools to make 14G 1/4 stuff, and am interested in making more than just armor, i want to make some other stuff with it and i dont care if it has any real application, just HAVING the knowledge i did it is good enough. so basically if you can make anything in that size of stuff, PLEASE let me know what!!? Send me info on patterns PLEASE!

Submissions: 27

Posted on Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:35 am

First up, I'm in Australia, so I'm not much good in the Stainless department :p Perhaps try welding suppliers in your phone directory.

Secondly, apart from armour, you can make

Clothing (tops, bras, hats, waistcoats, ties, belts etc)
    Jewellery (wristwear, handwear, fingerwear, armwear, neckwear, anklewear, headwear)
    Accessories (bags, candle hangers, dreamcatchers, wallhangings, pot scrubbers, animal collars/leads, keyrings, walletchains, watchchains, wallets)
    Toys (anything you can think of!)

I'm sure there are many things that others can add.

In terms of patterns, for some things like clothing and bags there are some patterns, but I find the best way is to find a weave you like the look of http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/ is a good place to start looking) make a patch or a length of chain or a strip of a weave, then play with it and let the metal inspire you. There is no "right" way of doing something in a creative craft such as mailling, although some perfectionists, *grin*, beg to differ.

Or take a look through the many pictures in the Gallery http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/ and see if you can replicate something you like, with your own personal twist of creative brilliance.

My 2 rings worth :) I hope it helps.

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Submissions: 59

Posted on Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:00 pm

Razoxane wrote:
My 2 rings worth Smile I hope it helps.

That is such a COOL expression. I have GOT to use that. Smile

Submissions: 7

Peculiar things of chain
Posted on Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:18 am

Kaith--

Though I can't help you with the inspiration part of things, I might recommend Ringlord for precut stainless links. They may even be able to sell you plain stainless wire, but one of the jewellers here in Calgary buys stainless rings from Ringlord. On the matter of peculiar things of mail, I've seen plant-hangers, bustieres, curtains, bottle-wraps, pen-covers, belts, and even 'insects' made of mail. It's all a matter of getting a good picture of what you want, a LOT of links to play with, and an obscene amount of ingenuity in mixing patterns. Happy pliering...

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
(I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Posted on Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:46 pm

You can probably get stainless wire from your local hardware store as well, that's where i get my 12 GA anchor wire...it's galvy, but i noticed they also have stainless wire there as well...I need to find a place locally that sells something smaller than 18 GA though Razz

Submissions: 7

Posted on Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:09 am

If you live in a big city, it's guaranteed you'll have an industrial supplier who will carry steel by the pound. Just find one; you'll be able to buy literally hundreds or thousands of pounds of wire for pennies a pound, though they won't carry lighter gauge stuff (the minimum being 0.063, which is basically 16g). Stainless, you'll be able to get from the same suppliers in a range of gauges (Davis Wire in Calgary, sells 1, 5 and 20 pound rolls of stainless at about $4 a pound, any gauge from 16 to 22, though 18g- is only available in 1 pound rolls).

the answer to your prayers...
Posted on Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:37 pm

go to the website http://www.theringlord.com all will be well in Zion

When all the world is caught up in the killing of its children, he will shine as a beacon light in the darkness and bring them to safety.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1