Turning off signatures
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 45

Turning off signatures
Posted on Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm tired of scrolling through 200 lines of text in a thread when only 10 are actual posts and the rest are signatures.

Is there an option to not display other peoples' signatures that I missed? (often you can have the option of not displaying those, or even displaying avatars, but i can't seem to find it). If such a thing doesn't exist, could somebody add it, please? Smile

Submissions: 72

Posted on Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:52 am

I totally agree. Some peoples' signatures are just too long. They make for way too much scroling, and I'm tired of reading the same things over and over again.

I would love to see a signature-hiding button added to the site.

Mical. Smile

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:38 am

I agree (though mine was quite long at one time) it just gets to the point of agitation. give-a to me a button to push...lol

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:41 am

i heartily agree.... we need a "turn off signature" button

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:32 am

My rule of thumb is that your post better be as long as your signature. If you have a 4 line signature, you better not be the kind of member that stops by and drops only a line or two of comment. If you're going to pick a long signature, you should limit yourself out of the one-line chatter comments.

A lot of people have 10 line signatures and stuff. It's ridiculous. Forums are not emails. I'm biased, I don't like signatures at all. I think they're funny or clever once, and that's it.

Though, many posts use up space for their avatars or member info anyway.. so it doesn't have to be too too bad.

A simple solution would be limiting people's signitures to one line. (Or, 40 characters, since line size change?). I'm a regular on a site that does that, and also greys their signature and reduces it in font size by two.. so it's unobtrusive and obvious that it's a signature. I do like that people can put in a small link to their website at the bottom, stuff like that. But not the full quotes or "Look at the fancy code I can write!". And no images.

I hate how people sign signatures with their own name. That's what the left part of the forum is for! It says your name, has your avatar, your details.. why do you sign with your name? Why oh why? I don't get it.

What do we lose by cutting signatures down to one line? Nothing. If we already had them at one line, I don't think many people would say "This is a problem, why are we limited to one line?" And those that did, should be slapped. Smack! That's the way we deal with long-signaturerers!

(/rant).

Submissions: 19

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:49 pm

I completely agree....Every other forum I've ever been in has had a 200 or less charecter limit on signatures.....I have noticed that some peoples sigs. are very long....while I do enjoy reading them the first time I see them....it gets annoying when I have to search for the actual post

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:51 pm

The way I understand how this board work, it generates all the pages on the fly. If you change your signature and you look at older messages you posted, they should have your current signature. I mention this idea, because I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to code something to filter OUT the signatures at the request of the viewer (well, 'too hard' is a very relative term, too).

I would still prefer to be able to block it at the viewer's end, as opposed to the user's end. That way, people can keep their precious signatures however they want them, I just don't have to waste time scrolling by them. I'm STILL seeing threads with 200 lines of text, only 10 of which are non-signature related...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1