Im new, First post, article worthy?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Im new, First post, article worthy?
Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:35 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey all, I'm new to the site, and moderatly new to Maille making.

I was reading the processes articles and came up with my own idea.

I first started making chainmail by buying my rings off ebay. This left something to be desired, don't get me wrong. I fell in love with mailling from the first bend...

My problem was I don't have a whole lot of money, nor do I have a whole lot of room, being that I live in a small 1 room appartment with my wife.

So here was my problem, I had no place to put a rig to make it and couldn't afford the metal rods for the mandrals and to buy the wire at the same time(either one or the other). So here was my solution. I went to lowe's and purchased some wood dowel rods. I then went to my grandfather's house(he has all the tools) and got a peice of 2x4. i cute it into blocks small enough to hold in my hand and drilled a hole in the center top side the size of the rod I wanted to put in that block. I then pre drilled a hole in the side and drilled 3 different size holes about an inch deep around the one in the center. I then put the rod in the hole and put a screw in to hold the rod stable.

The Process

I take the wire, and bend about 1/2 in and put it in one of the holes around the rod and then start winding... might not be the best way, and it might use some strength to do, but it works. and thats what I wanted from it.

Submissions: 83

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:08 am

Welcome aboard. Watch your arms and legs and do remember to take small children by the hair.

I thik it's a good article. Advice for mailleing in small quarters is very useful to a lot of people. You might want to organize the information in terms of giving a materials list, a list of needed tools and the like.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:36 am

Wouldn't the wood slowly compress over time? Or did my slight lack of understanding miss something that would prevent that??

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:59 am

Im not sure about the compression... i used hard wood pegs, so im not sure if they will compress much at all

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:00 am

I think an article about mailling in small quarters would be quite valuable to many. I am in a similar situation, and fortunately now have some experience in how to minimize the space requirements of equipment and supplies. My current setup can pretty much fit onto one 11"x14" tray (stacked up a bit:D).

I've got an 11x14 wood tray with short sides and handles; it's one of those trays you buy unfinished in craft stores like Michaels. I painted it and lined it with velvet. It makes a great portable work surface. It also helps me organize my other equipment and supplies. I had bought the tray on sale for about $5. The paint I had on hand, and the velvet was a precut remnant from fabric store, so it was on sale and fairly inexpensive too.

My ring containers are empty incense tins that I got from a dollar store; they look good, and were very inexpensive when you factor in the fact that they had incense in them and have been repurposed from their original use.

My wire coiling rig is tiny at a whopping 3 1/2" x 6" x 4" high. My mandrels are 18" long; which I find is plenty long for my needs.

The pliers and cutters currently don't have any container, but since I'm handy at sewing, and have a whole lot of extra fabric, I'll probably eventually make some kind of bag or folding case to house them.

The wire I'm currently using is about the only thing that doesn't fit overly well on the tray, but that's because it's a 1/4mile spool of galvy; and even it isn't all that big.

One of those shallow Rubbermaid storage boxes would be perfect to hold the whole shooting match and stow it under the bed. Smile

Wow, the room's spinning; I didn't realize my drill was that powerful! Oh wait, I must just be dizzy from watching the mandrel spin! Very Happy

Leo "14thWarrior" M. Lalande

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1