Project #3 : 100 Rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

We've been talking lately about reorganizing the way the weaves are listed and I'd like to suggest a new group project. If we all do a few weaves then even at 300 it'll still be managable. I'm sure a few people will go nuts and do 10 or 20, but that'll just get it done faster.

To give a person looking at the weave an idea of the density I'd suggest that we each take a couple of the weaves and do a patch with 100 (or some other fixed amount) rings of a standard size. I'd suggest a size of 14 gauge 3/8". Then measure the length of the chain or the area of the patch the volume of the block. We'd put this information up to give people an idea of what they'd need to do a project.

Since there are a number of weaves that include two different ring sizes I'd suggest also including a ratio of big rings to little rings to really little rings (if neccessary). We'd also pick a common size for the small rings too, maybe 17 or 18 gauge 1/4"

So whadda ya think? Smile

Oh yeah, I don't know if there's an official way to do it yet, but this isn't an official group project... yet.

[ This Message was edited by: Thomas on 2002-12-30 17:30 ]

Submissions: 11

*grins* sounds entertaining, if you ask me .. tho, oddly enough, 3/8" is about the only mandrel size I don't have between 1/8" and 1/2" ... Wink

Submissions: 24

lol
3/8 is a VERY standard size... espically for armor Very Happy
Not that I've done much... any armor, but still...

I don't know about the multipul ring size ones, because things like euro 4 in 1 thrice and dscale require much different types of things... And the 3/8 id would be much better for the little rings in 4in1 thrice.

If you want, I can go nuts and do about 40 or 50 Very Happy
Or mabey not...

Should we give all the patches to someone so they can photograph them all so they all look basically the same? And possibly all the same metal, like galvy or copper, for the same reason?

And as for the 100 rings, for some things, that would only be a small pice, but for some, it would be a large amount. Mabey 1" for chains, and 6" by 6" for sheets, and 3" by 3" for solids? Of course some pices would require a different size for one reason or another...

Just my... more than 2? Very Happy

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 83

i've already made 8 weaves that im adding as soon as i get pics, there should be more, and i havent been able to sleep to i weave till about 3:00 then pass out. made a captive full persian today. anyway, i like the sounds of it!

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 83

Actually in theory this sort of thing is going on, or the ground work is at least there. That link up there that says "database" should lead to information of this very sort... however we don't have all that information yet. What we need is for as many people as possible (or as needed) to make as many weaves as possible in as many ring sizes as possible and record all the data about it they can (density, weight, rings per area what ever). The idea being when enough is there we can make up some really neat calculators that would let anyone figure out just how many rings they would need to make a street legal top of that nifty new bison eating leeks weave. Which given that it would be something which spanned ring and wire sizes would actually be more difficult but very useful. We could just start putting information up here in a post so people can see what is already there.

What should be measured? I would think (for each wire and ring size possible) the number of rings per distance/area is the really important one because you can use that to calculate most other values, given certain easy to find things, like how many rings you have a lb of a given material could be used to calculate how weighty a given piece is likely to be.

Then for even more fun we could get pictures of all (or as many) of the size combinations as possible all together to compare. So we put on the scanner a dime along size full persian chains from 24gu, 2.5mm to 12gu 7/8. That would give you the density measure.

I was actually counting on the size of the patch or length of the chain being different ChildOD. That was the information I wanted to get out.
"Now 100 rings will get me this big a piece of this weave, but only this big of this. That means I need to buy/make this many rings."

If you want to change it to working from the other direction that would be good too.
"Let's see, it takes this many rings to make a 3"x3" patch with this weave, but it takes this many for this weave. That means I need to buy/make this many rings."

The imortant thing is to have something be a constant.

I wasn't actually thinking about every ring size Ademerelech. I was just thinking about a more low level thing. I think it would be more important to have a lot of differrent weaves in one ring siz than a lot of ring sizes for one weave first. Maybe after a while it could get up to what you were thinking though. I'll check that database though. Smile

[ This Message was edited by: Thomas on 2003-01-02 08:32 ]

Submissions: 79

hmm, sounds fun, but i probably won't pick up pliers for it. i hope you all enjoy yourselves. Smile

hmm, thomas, the way to start an "official" group project is to suggest one that people do. Wink trickier said than done. but hurrah to success. the information would be useful to some, i'm sure.

might want to log all of the variables that you can, metal, temper, etc, as each of these changes the id, due to springback.. hmm, i just sort of guestimate and get close enough for my tastes, but something more substantial than guesses would be pretty neat too.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

I wasn't looking at anything quite that detailed, just something that could give someone a basic idea about what the weave would do in relation to other weaves. I can't see as how the ID I originally suggested would be changed significantly by the metal used if someone did a good tight coil. I'd also like to avoid mission creep on this one and just keep it to a simple question, "How dense is this weave compared to others?"

The idea is not to give a person all the information they could ever want for any weave they would ever want, but give them a general idea of what it would be like if they used their usual ring size. I like the idea you mentioned about stretchiness though.

I guess I should have floated this in the Knitting Circle before posting it here.

(accidental alliteration)

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:51 pm

I agree with the weaving till you pass out. Many a nights I have fallen asleep with a pair of pliers in my hand, and woken to find the imprint of rings and maille on my forehead where it hit the table. But then again caffiene is a wonderful thing. so is insomnia

Let us go out tonight for pleasure for the forest paths are dark and the night is long.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1