Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Newbie to the site, but I have been working with chain mail (maille is my preferred spelling) for about 4 years. I make jewelry, and would love to learn some new weaves. I have finally become happy enough with my work that I am investing into my craft a bit more using higher quality rings. I prefer stainless, but find the larger gauges very difficult to work with. I prefer 19g for most of my things, but I have found most people work with 18g. Still learning basic measurements of rings, ID and such. What I really want to know is how to do dragonscale on the bias. It’s a beautiful weave! My husband and I had started learning maille together, but I sort of ran with it. He makes his own rings and has made a shirt and a vest. I can make my own rings (thanks to years of working in electronics) but I prefer to work with the smaller rings, while hubby enjoys working with the larger ones. We both sort of became obsessed after watching the Hobbit movies and seeing allll the chain maille.

Posted on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi to everyone! My name is Francesca, I come from Italy but I moved some years ago in Germany. I'm a Larp player and there I got my first contact with the chain mail. I did some chainmail armors and reparatures for my friends. Usually I do by myself the rings (just 10mm of diametre) too.
I hope to learn much by you all!

Francesca Smile

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Welcome and well come, Lilin-Francesca and Maidenshield.

Posted on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Hello!
My name is Holly and I go by ShadowDancer. I am brand new to creating Chain Maille. This is week 2 for me and I'm LoVing it! Smile I am looking forward to learning LOTs of new things. Thanks for having me.
(((HUGs))) from Oklahoma, soon to be WA State (which is my home) Smile
Coif LoL Coif LoL Coif LoL Coif LoL

Posted on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:56 am

Holly, appreciate the enthusiasm, welcome, well come.

But I think blue type on a dark-gray background is pretty hard to read even in bold. Fortunately I could highlight it.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Hello, from the very south of Spain
Posted on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:14 am

hi,

I am a french former programmer, now retired and moved to Spain.

For as long as I can remember, I always loved to use my fingers to create things, from clay pots to baskets weaving to wood carving ...

In my free time I like to walk my dogs in the countryside, to relax from making knives (blacksmithing in summertime, really ?) or chainmailing (my poor fingers become clumsy)

Macha

Posted on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 am

Welcome, bienvenu, and well come, Macha.

Greetings!
Posted on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi all,

First post - figured it'd better be here. I've become jaded on the internet lately and struggle between my wish for anonymity and the fact that nobody cares about you if they don't know anything about you so.... with that in mind:

I live in Minnesota, USA, work in IT, and have a small family. I have a nice collection of tinfoil hats Wink (see above). I got into maille a little bit in high school and early college but that didn't last long as this is a spendy and time-consuming hobby. But I've got a little more cash now and can afford to buy rings. Part of what got me back into it was hearing a story on MRP news about a shop that opened up in Ava Minnesota making jump rings - so I gotta shout out to the locals at WeaveGotMaille.com.

As far as weaving goes I've done most of the basics. Euro 4-1, Persian 3-1 and 4-1 and some sheets there, Japanese 6-1 (not my favorite). Started off making my own rings with galvy. That stuff is ok for learning but it's pretty much junk. I like steel but, but preferring saw cut I found the whole processes of making the rings to be a pain so I usually purchase aluminum and steel rings now.

I don't expect to be frequently active here, but wanted to ask for some advice periodically. Honestly I enjoy making maille and seeing the finished product, but I'm not much of a designer. So I'll probably be looking for project ideas too. Thanks to everyone who participates.

M.A.I.L. Newb
Posted on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 am

Hi all! I've been in the Chainmaille group on Facebook for years now and constantly use MAIL to find new weave ideas and methods. I'm not a hardcore mailler, as I use it in conjunction with several other artforms/styles.
Either way, I figured I would join and see what's cookin.

I'm a homeschooling mom, citizen scientist, keeper of reptiles and insects, writer, and of course an artisan.

My preferred metals are stainless steel, copper, brass, and anodized aluminum.
Thanks for having me!
Cali

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 9. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9