Magic Stretchy Bracelet
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Magic Stretchy Bracelet
Posted on Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:07 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I posted about a novel desire for a stretchy bracelet to exist in maille form on the TRL site here: http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/19013-magical-stretchy-bracelets/ . The idea is to create a bracelet in any ordinary material (not just titanium) that stretches over the fist and then relaxes over the wrist - with no clasp.

In other words the bracelet can have no clasp and be head-to-tail smooth (contiguous) and keeps itself on like magic! This is similar to the rings in Tolkien's lore.

Well, I've got some weaving to do here because I'd like to suggest an answer: FP6-1 splits in zig-zag or heart form, made with just the right AR. The notion in the noggin is that the suggested weave is tense under pressure making it have a wrist-sized minimum energy state and a stretchy tensed form when expanded.

In fact, many solutions must exist when a structural tightness dinar is formed. So that is the AR, what are the rings, to make FP6-1 a rigid candidate? Well, I plan to take my sweet time (so more accomplished creators may try it first) is AR=4.8 (4.7 to 4.9 may work, it's very AR precise though) which is a ring of TRL: 1438 in Saw Cut Bright Aluminum. Also for a smaller size we can use WGM 16g 5.5mm rings. Please do not aim your flaming ilk at me in anger if I have led you astray, I'm just offering some admittedly questionable ideas for community involvement.

All in good fun!

><}}}o>

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am

so we're talking some clever use of memory metal here or some kind of mechanical solution; rather than say using Nitrile O-Rings as your free links and getting your stretch that way?

Posted on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am

It's a clever use of rings as you say. There are flex approaches including titanium and rubber rings, but they have their own issues. I hope to find yet a third way that is beneficial on it's own rights.

The key I think is to use low aspect ratios for the weave to keep things as tight as possible, and to make a structure in which the rings do not flex at all, they just twist. Well maybe they flex a little or is that necessary?

><}}}o>

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm

you could use an expanding clasp.

https://www.watchandclockparts.com/products/watch-strap-bracelet-clasp-fold-expanding?variant=6317178627&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&cmp_id=1815954133&adg_id=66276591261&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKSbqeHS4gIVh6ztCh2FXwqkEAQYBCABEgKFDPD_BwE

or take apart an existing expanding watch strap and use parts of it in your design?

Posted on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 am

Yes the expanding clasp linked in the previous post would help here,
though the idea is to make a bracelet with no clasp that does the job.
Candidates were clasp and rubber rings, then titanium rings could help
if cost permits. After those three what I'm looking for (and is the
theme here) is a weave or style of bracelet that does the job.
No clasp, no springy metal, just enough expansive flexure (if that
mangle English works) to slide over the fist and not fall off once
relaxed around the wrist.

Les

><}}}o>

Posted on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Hmm ok 2 other options spring to mind.

A split ring clasp? That way it locks to the wrist size? (but may need a second person to take it on and off)

A weave that size wise ONLY just fits when you pull the thumb in towards the palm? but doesn't normally when the thumb is out naturally.

I have locked a crazy ex-girlfriend into chainmaille wrist bands before. (in certain aspects the relationship was great, but she was absolutely bananas. Passionate people can be something of a double edged sword). It was an education that has enabled me to truly appreciate calmness inherent in the lack of chaos in ones life.

If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know. Good hunting sir!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 am

Have you ever tried putting an elastic band through the weave? It allows the bracelet to expand and contract as needed. I have used this with both full and half persian weaves, both sheets and chains.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am

These are nice ideas. I had it down to four options, 3 known and
now we can list about seven choices. The elastic band idea reminds me
of a garter belt made in chain maille form!

Ty for the replies.
Les

><}}}o>

Posted on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Musicman, what would you suggest for type of rubber? Something vulcanised? I'm just thinking you want something solvent and sun resistant. Rethreading after a less than ideal rubber has perished would be an annoying retro-relink.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 pm

I have used the clear rubber/elastic cord from Hobby Lobby. I have also seen people use a thicker "Hair tie" type cord that possibly has some color in it to add a little interest instead of trying to hide it.

Re-threading can be a pain, but since it has to be big enough to fit around the hand/fist I usually thread it through after the weaving is done.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1