weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

weave
Posted on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have several weave instructions that use only sterling silver; my question is can I switch to stainless steel with these patterns?

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 pm

The only difference would be in the ring size recommendations.

If the instructions go by AR, you don't need to make any adjustments.
If the instructions go by wire diameter (WD) and mandrel size, you may need to shrink the mandrel to make everything fit as expected when using steel.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 0

AR information and AWG verses SWG
Posted on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 pm

I thought this might be a good place to put this??

Where is the best place for me to get information on AR so that I can learn it and breath it?

I have a tutorial that I have been looking at on this site and I am not sure if it is AWG or SWG? The instructions give pictures and the different weave but it doesn't have information on whether it is AWG or SWG and because multiple weaves are used it doesn't give the AR?

I sent a message but at this point have not received an answer yet?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bdee

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 am

First tip is to dispense with SWG and AWG altogether. Useless for AR.

Use measured wire diameter to calculate AR -- or if the label tells you the wire diameter, that will do fine. AR doesn't much need ratios more precisely defined than to one decimal place. Link ID over Wire D. Use the same units for both.

For completely anonymous wire, a cheap plastic calipers will do the job of measuring its diameter. They're good to a hundredth of an inch at worst.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 569

Posted on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 am

If you want to live and breathe AR, start with these articles:
Aspect Ratio (AR), and http://www.zlosk.com/maille/aspectratios.html

But as Konstantin the Red mentioned, AR and wire gauge don’t mix. ARs require wire measurements in proper units. When it boils down to it, mail and wire gauge don’t mix. It’s a shame it is still used so much. At the very least, people should specify which gauge system.

As for contacting members via private messaging, if they haven’t been active at the site for awhile and they don’t happen to have turned on the option to get an email notification, they will be hard to get ahold of.

If you link to the tutorial in question, we might be able to suggest ring sizes.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 am

While I don't join Chainmailbasket in calling it a shame, I do say gauge is mostly useful as conversational shorthand: "16 gauge (.0631", in steel wires), 14 gauge (.080 ditto)." In more technical or precise contexts, then I like to just use measured wire diameter as suits my correspondent, e.g., some English silversmith who gets the bulk of his supply from European SI-measuring sources.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 569

Posted on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Heh.

Sometimes I rant about these things. Just ignore me when I do. I do still think it’s a shame, but it’s not as much of a shame as I make it out to be.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1