Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So destroying riveted? Are we talking tailoring? Or taking a sword to it on the battlefield?

It could be both of course the two pass times are not by any means mutually exclusive...

Very Happy

Welcome to the boards!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi I'm Windweaver, I've been here a little while now but only just found this post.

I started mailling in 2017 at the age of 60 (I'm a late developer Smile ) making jewellery pieces. Among my favourite weaves are dragonscale, byzantine and variations, as well as kinged vipera berus. My preferred metals are silver, silver fill, gold fill, rose gold fill and titanium. I started out making my own rings but have decided that I am keener on making the weaves themselves and so now I buy them ready cut.

My inspiration came from watching some amazing maillers on Youtube (stumbled on by accident) I owe them and the many wonderful people here a great debt for introducing me to this fascinating and addictive craft/art. There are too many people to name individually but my heartfelt thanks to you all.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 am

Welcome and well come, Windweaver.

YouTube's a trove, ain't it?

I'm pretty much entirely an "I make armour" guy. So, steel wire, mailshirts, camails, and really any other resistant bits -- pièces de résistance? -- I blush. And making sure shirt builders still can find the best Web tute for mailshirts to be found.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Re: Ima Noob
Posted on Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 am

cyberlon wrote:
I've . . . followed some tutorials on here and youtube to get to the point where I now have something resembling a butted chainmaille shirt. It has incredibly increased my hand strength and I've developed these thick calluses where the pliers contact my hand, but it's worth it. I'm going to have some questions, but I'll try to find an appropriate place to do that, just wanted to introduce myself here before I get into it. I'm kind of in a rush, I need to get sleeves on my shirt before June of this year, so back to "work" I go. Smile

Download this, then, and welcome to you! It's like four or five pages of typescript and a few little line-drawings on tailoring a shirt, authentically (which will mean you can actually move in it without getting bound up in any direction).

https://web.archive.org/web/20160508055350/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

Posted on Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks Konstantin the Red.

Yes, Youtube is very definitely a trove Very Happy

I may not make armour myself but I can certainly appreciate the amount of work and skill that goes into it. More power to your weaving! Needlenose Pliers Very Happy

Posted on Tue May 28, 2019 3:22 am

Hi everyone. I've been doing chainmaille off and on for several years--mostly jewelry or small objects.(Still at a more-or-less beginner level.) I've been visiting this site for as long, but this is the first time I've had occasion to think about posting on the forums.

My current project is a going-away gift for a friend--an Toothless keychain. (inspiration.) Some of my many other interests include--wire weaving, resin casting, arduino, hiking and photography to name a few.

I've been thinking about trying to make a javascript tool to calculate needed rings for a particular weave + material + desired size + [selected recommended AR combination]. Ideally I'd love to (optionally?) have this add all the rings in question to your cart on theringlord.com. Does something like this already exist? (Is theringlord.com still where most people get rings?) Does this sound like something folks would use?

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who works on contributing to this great source of information. Best!

Hayo
Posted on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking and learning on the site for quite some time. I've learned the technique a long time ago, more or less on my teenage years, however due to lack of employment I've decide to try my take on this, maille crafting and jewelry artisan.
I've produced quite a few pretty unique pieces (mostly thanks to inspiration from site), ramping up my production quality to finer jewelry pieces, and I'll be sharing pictures of my creations as well, so please stay tuned.

Posted on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi everyone. I'm full of questions and have been searching for answers in the library.

Posted on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 am

I guess now that I'm done geeking about my current project, I can talk a bit about some other stuff about me. My entire life, I've been entranced with medieval history and fantasy. Knights, armor, castles, princesses, the works. I picked up mailleing because I thought it'd be really cool to start learning how to make armor, because I want to wear armor. I'm wanting to design and produce fantasy pieces, not unlike that of the costume design work of series like Lord of the Rings, among others. I came here from The Ring Lord forums, after posting for weaving technique advice on my haubergon there.

Introducing me
Posted on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi all. I’m brand new to chainmaille. I have just made my very first Byzantine bracelet and now I’m hooked. I want to learn all things Maille lols. My name is Ann and I am from Shropshire in the UK.

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 8. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8