Weave Study 2019-1.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 15

Weave Study 2019-1.
Posted on Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm || Last edited by Karpeth on Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Rebooting the Weave Study Threads, per interest. Kicking it off with a ”basic” topic.

Purpose:
Go more in depth to specific weaves (and concepts) as a community.
Add information to weaves, including:
Tutorials
AR limits
Weave Relationships
Pattern Information

This time we will be/are/were studying:
Weaves:
Byzantine, Box Chain 4 in 1, Full Persian 6 in 1

Concepts:
Bolting-style connections.
Locking.

Related Weaves:
The weaves Pages have been updated, with many relatives.

Additional Links:
Link to interest/discussion thread

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun May 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Interestingly, these were all ones that I made 3d models of. You can change the AR in the 3d models, which might give some insight to others that haven't looked at the Box Chain 4 in 1 shape change at small ARs.

Byzantine 3d model
Box 3d model
FP 6in1 3d model

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Sun May 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Box Chain 4 in 1 is 4 rows of European 4 in 1, connected to its own edge, let’s call this ”n=2”, as it’s 2 repetitions of the smallest reproducible pattern. When you change it to n=3, you get Roundmaille. I have not found the n=4 in the library, and Will as such submit it as soon as I have made it.

For Byzantine (n=2), the n=3 is Turkish Round and n=4 Celtic Roundmaille, and they all relate to the weave Gridlock

For Full Persian 6 in 1 (n=2), the n=3 is Hilt Chain/Half Persian 3 in 1 Column. Havn’t found the n=4.

As for bolting; standard Bolting of individual box cells, gives Byzantine. Using Harvest Moon style Bolting (möbius/Moon), ”m=2”, you get Pacman/Byzantine Variant. n,m=3 and 4 could be possible, but I havn’t seen them.

Submissions: 524

Posted on Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 am

Full Persian 6 in 1 is something I’ve studied quite a bit over the last year. That’s why months ago its entry description was significantly expanded upon, for anyone who noticed. I certainly have enough material to put into an article about its variants, sheet expansions, etc., but it will be awhile before I’m ready to publish anything.

I finally got around to giving Byzantine, and Box Chain 4 in 1 the same treatments, so now it’s easier to access related weaves.

As for FP6-1’s n=4 version, here it is (direct link might not work, try copy&paste url):
http://www.chainmailbasket.com/images/weaves/quad_hilt_chain_83.jpg

I called it Quad Hilt Chain, which is probably not the best name. Very high required AR - this sample is AR of 8.3. I never bothered to submit the weave to m.a.i.l.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Fri May 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Based on your recent work; I have three questions?

1.) Would you expand on what you mean by ”also parallell” in (Classical) Byzantine Cube?
2.) Gridlock Byzantine, from What I can see, and when I Make it Carry no semblance, except in name. What is am I missing?
3.) would you please submit QHC?

Posted on Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 pm

1. Also parallel means that the cube version of Parallel Byzantine Sheet works also. It has added wing tip connectors. I’ll get pictures at some point.

2. Gridlock Byzantine is only marginally related. I could remove that link. I’d go either way on that one.

3. Maybe.

Posted on Sat May 11, 2019 8:51 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
1. Also parallel means that the cube version of Parallel Byzantine Sheet works also. It has added wing tip connectors. I’ll get pictures at some point.

2. Gridlock Byzantine is only marginally related. I could remove that link. I’d go either way on that one.

3. Maybe.

I see what you mean. Are you going to submit it to the weave Queue?

I vote in favour of not mentioning it.

In the following days I’ll look into the n=3 and n=4 of pacman. There should be Two stable ways to make n=4.

Posted on Sun May 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Actually looking at it again, GLByz is not related to Byzantine at all. I’m not sure what I was thinking at the time. Link removed.

As for Parallel Byzantine Cube, I suppose I could submit it, once I’ve taken a picture of it. I made both it, and the (Classical) version, so a comparison shot is in order too.

——

Post-weave factoid:

There are a few Chain Sheet weaves based on the ones being studied here that are represented in the gallery, but do not appear in the weaves library.

One based on Box Chain 4 in 1:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=177
and the bottom part of this:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=2988
The top part of this last one has a Byzantine sheet that is sort of similar to Rondo Sheet

One based on Full Persian 6 in 1:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=2871

They take strands of each chain and bolt them together with connector rings using the most straightforward style. I’ve made also the Box one with each chain alternating directional face. It’s really neat because the connector ring rows are forced to alternate the angles they lie at, and it looks especially good in two metals. A picture says a thousand words, they say, and hopefully I’ll have a few thousand more words to share with y’a soon.

——

For the time being, here’s a peep at a 334 ring containing Byzantine Dodecahedron :

This is assembled similarly to Byzantine Web, and Byzantine Web Square, except it has 5 Byz nodes emerging from each pair of “horizontal “ connector rings instead of 3, or 4, respectively.

Byz segments:
.047" (1.2mm) aluminum
9/64" (3.57mm) mandrel
.156" ID
AR of 3.3

Connection point rings:
.048" (1.2mm) stainless steel
5/16" (7.94mm) mandrel
.344" ID
AR of 7.2

And I nearly forgot to mention that this is only one way of making a Byz Dodecahedron, another style is like this:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=7959

Posted on Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Regarding Gridlock Byzantine:
Byzee Beez to Butterflies bears a superficial resemblance to Gridlock Byzantine.
BB2B, I would classify as a Byzantine variant, and I would classify GB and BB2B as related, as they, like Box and Byz, FP and Box, Box 6-1 and Box, and many other examples, can be connected, ”seamlessly”.

So, I would not regard GB and B to be directly related, just as Byz is not really directly related to FP, but box is related to Both of them.

Comments on the Byzantine page:
Furthermore, on the Byzantine entry, the ”other versions” link is broken.
Even furthermore, Orbiting Byzantine seems to be another one ”in name only”. Or am I missing something?
Byzantine Double Knot is based on the Byzantine Relative Minerva.
Byzantine Variant is a special case of Pacman, right?
While the list is not extensive, these thoughts were provoked when I read the page regarding GB.

Another question I had was, Byzantine Cross Chain is itching. I believe There is a duplicate in the library, with a Celtic epithet, but I couldn’t find it right now.

Posted on Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm

I’m not sure what’s going on with Orbiting Byzantine, but the detailed description had me sold.

Posted on Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I’m not sure what’s going on with Orbiting Byzantine, but the detailed description had me sold.
I Will submit a recreation to the gallery. It’s Closely related to Endo, Velo, Power Line and Hour Glass Unit.

Connect the Two orbital rings in Hour Glass to eachother, and you have Orbital Byzantine.

(Would you mind updating the front page to include This topic?)

Posted on Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Karpeth wrote:

(Would you mind updating the front page to include This topic?)

I would love to add a headline to the front page about this weave study, however, due to technical constraints, I am presently unable to.

In other words: that part of the website is broken.

Posted on Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 am

A few images of [weave=Orbital Byzantine], showing Why I don’t regard it as a relative.

Posted on Sun May 19, 2019 6:39 pm

I agree, Orbiting Byzantine is not related; a continual strand of Hour Glass Units that’s been around long before HGU became established.

Those are good pictures. Please make sure at least a few of them end up in the gallery. Very Happy. I’m curious what ring size you used too. I became quickly dissatisfied with it in a single size and ended up producing one with AR of 7.0, except for the rings with 4 orbital connections, which are AR of 9.0. I know this is a little off topic since Orbiting Byzantine is not properly related to Byzantine, but AR of 5.7 as the ideal seems far too low to even be possible, so we ought to fix that.

I fixed the link to “other versions” of Reinforced Byzantine. Lots of good reading there.

Posted on Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 pm

I agree, Orbiting Byzantine is not related; a continual strand of Hour Glass Units that’s been around long before HGU became established.

Those are good pictures. Please make sure at least a few of them end up in the gallery. Very Happy. I’m curious what ring size you used too. I became quickly dissatisfied with it in a single size and ended up producing one with AR of 7.0, except for the rings with 4 orbital connections, which are AR of 9.0. I know this is a little off topic since Orbiting Byzantine is not properly related to Byzantine, but AR of 5.7 as the ideal seems far too low to even be possible, so we ought to fix that.

I fixed the link to “other versions” of Reinforced Byzantine. Lots of good reading there.

8/1.3. And I’ve Done Hourglass alot in 8/1.3, so the min is wrong There as Well. However, the min could be different, as it’s not hourglass. The orbitals are connected.

I would like not to submit it. I am not proud of these images.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next