Articles that link to YouTube videos
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 522

Articles that link to YouTube videos
Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

We need a policy on articles that link to YouTube videos.

On one hand, this could be very useful. On the other hand it could be abused.

One thing I like about articles with only text and images is that they’re completely contained on this website, with the author always having the ability to edit or remove them at will. We don’t host videos.

Actually we do have at least one article that does have YouTube video links.

So.. we are ok with this? Who’s responsible for monitoring this?

Oh I would love to check with article admin but...

We don’t have one! Phong hasn’t been around for a few years- longer than his profile suggests, since September 2, 2016 @ 10:13 pm is the earliest possibility Last Seen date in any user profile due to some glitch I suppose.

A few of us other admins have been handling article responsibilities in his absence. The problem with this is if something comes up and we don’t know how to handle it, it just sits there.

I’m a little iffy on the content of the one in the queue because it involves welding (so does the one already in the articles library). I know little about this, and it’s dangerous, although we could put a disclaimer in there.

So I’ll check with the community and see what people think.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Video does add a great deal of information.
However, I'm in support of keeping the stance of sparsely linking out to little external resources.

My big reason is not the abuse (monitoring or using this platform to direct traffic...) but rather about information longevity.

External links frequently go stale for too many reasons. Most of the gallery theme contest threads have tons of broken image links. It's a shame, because there is a great deal of nice stuff that never made it into the gallery itself. I don't like the idea of opening up a door for more content to disappear by means outside this community's control.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:08 pm

I’d say it’s more reliable than other external links.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 am

True Karpeth, Might I suggest a maille artisans you tube account specifically for this purpose that is administered by say an "Audio-Visual Manager"?

That way much like everything else all videos can be standardized, rules of quality set down and topped and tailed with correct banners and branding? Oh and vetted so there are no surprise c**k shots.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:16 pm

ClymAngus wrote:
True Karpeth, Might I suggest a maille artisans you tube account specifically for this purpose that is administered by say an "Audio-Visual Manager"?

That way much like everything else all videos can be standardized, rules of quality set down and topped and tailed with correct banners and branding? Oh and vetted so there are no surprise c**k shots.

Fantastic Idea!

I wouldn’t apply for video head, but I could assist.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 pm

I agree that liking to outside sites is not the best. I do like ClymAngus' idea of having a MAIL YouTube site that could be linked to and maintained by the membership. I don't know what this would entail, but could be a good option.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm

MusicMan wrote:
I agree that liking to outside sites is not the best. I do like ClymAngus' idea of having a MAIL YouTube site that could be linked to and maintained by the membership. I don't know what this would entail, but could be a good option.

I think this is the best of both worlds. I agree that off-site links can and will go dead, and keeping as much on this site is best. But sometimes it really does help to be able to see the artisan's hands in motion. So I think that having a League channel is an excellent solution, both for longevity and quality control.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Will probably take some work on the backend to get that approach working.
Need a method of submitting videos to be reviewed, reviewing rubric (list of things to and not to include), content agreement (that it's okay to MAIL to post it), methods of users removing the content they no longer want posted, and probably a handful of other things to go along.

It definitely dodges my permanence criticism, though.
Maybe we should address the dusty shoes for article admin, too?

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:16 am

TrenchCoatGuy *takes off admin hat* I like how you are thinking. Would you mind gathering up some people together and writing up a sample policy/procedure using what MAIL already has as a guideline. If we can present something to the board that is already fleshed out and all they need to do is just make some small adjustments it would make it easier to get it passed.

I think you have a good list of things that need to be thought of already:
1. Submitting and reviewing
2. Reviewing Rubric
3. Content agreement
4. Method of removal of content

*puts on admin hat* as far as the dusty shoes we are working on things. When Lorriane died it really hit some people hard so please be patient.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 26

Posted on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:05 pm

MusicMan wrote:
When Lorriane died it really hit some people hard so please be patient.

Oh, damn. I really don't want to side step the tread. but damn. She was a paragon a dragoness (in a good way). The kind of person who would rip the tits of death if it ever dared to come near her. I'm so sorry.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1