Looking for ideas on how to connect a piece
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Looking for ideas on how to connect a piece
Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So I've hashed out an idea to make sheet pieces to insert into the side of a leather vest. Many of my friends wear them often and thought it would be a fun accessory for them.

The thing I'm looking at now is a way to mount some sort of snap clasp like you would see for coat or vest buttons or on things like leather cuffs but put them in the chainmaille piece so you can simply snap it into the premade holes in the side of the vest and would facilitate easy change out if you wanted multiple different colors of this piece or wanted to take it out and go back to a more traditional corded look

Please let me know if anyone has either done something like this before and knows what to do or has any ideas on how to do this

Thank you

Submissions: 22

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am

I think the simpler way would be to trim the mail with a strip of leather, and put the clasps on it.

An harder, better looking, idea would be to make small metal plates / non-standard-rings with holes carefully placed to blend in the weave and ring size you're using.

I've never tried any of that, so wait for others' replies.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 am

Hmm, the problem you have here is one of weight distribution.

If your using aluminum then this is less of an issue but still if hung from the top of the vest with no counterbalance to the back, pretty much ALL the weight will be held by your clasps at the shoulder, let me see if I can find you an example.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=2904

Ok this is a straight "punch through" job where you get the open link and use it to literally punch through the leather. Now take a look at the leather on the front shoulder, you can see it's undergoing stress. Eventually that weight will pull through the leather (when I say eventually, I mean you've got a good 10 years, more if stored flat and not hung up.) For your piece you have the added problem of clasping which is again another weak point.

I don't want to be down on the project, I made a good bit of cash off leather jacket conversions. But it would really be helpful to see a quick sketch of what you want this thing to look like. That way we can talk material tolerances and adequate anchor points Smile

Shirluban wrote:
I think the simpler way would be to trim the mail with a strip of leather, and put the clasps on it.

An harder, better looking, idea would be to make small metal plates / non-standard-rings with holes carefully placed to blend in the weave and ring size you're using.

I've never tried any of that, so wait for others' replies.

That is a good idea Shir, I have seen some pieces like that. Usually a strip of thin flank folder over the edge and stitched together using waxed cotton.
It is a little work intensive but the results can be quite stunning.

I really think a quick picture would help, we need to be like architects here. Start with the look you want then work out how the hell to do it! Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 am

Sorry for the hold up on a reply, been dealing with sickness.

My plan is to use the already built in holes in the sides of the vest for the vest pieces, where the side lacing would generally go. So wouldn't be so much worried about the links pulling through the leather.

I generally do use aluminum as I enjoy the color options that I have and the lightweight feel to it, these are just decorative not for any heavy uses like LARP or anything.

The leather pieces is a good idea and I do already do some leather work so not unfamiliar with the medium.

I will have to take some time and do a sketch up for you as well when I have a chance and upload it to show what I am thinking of

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1