Japanese dragonscale capture?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Japanese dragonscale capture?
Posted on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm trying to learn Japanese dragonscale. I noticed there is space in the triangle for a bead. Has anyone tried to capture a bead with this weave? If so what size bead would fit in there? Thanks for all the interesting discussions even if I don't understand a lot of them, I'm learning.

Submissions: 552

Posted on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Japanese Dragonscale is a fine weave indeed. I’m not sure how well it would work to captivate a bead in each triangle though. There are two outside layers of large rings holding everything in place, but the gap between them is small - a bit more than one wire width. The right bead to stay in place it seems to me would be considerably size specific. This is if you were considering spherically-shaped beads. Something shaped like a disc or torus would hold in place better in that center layer.

Regardless, the required bead size would depend on the size of rings used in the JDS. Which then comes down to what wire diameter the rings are of.

Have you tried out the weave yet on its own? What ring sizes do you have available?

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 0

JDS
Posted on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 am

I looked at the weave after I posted this question and realized that there is little or no room to fit a bead in the triangle. I'm doing it in 18ga. 5/32 and 18ga. 5/16. Do you have any suggestions on a manly chunky weave for a bracelet or cuff using 0.062" WD Sq. wire 1/4" ID. Thanks.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1