Headdress question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Headdress question
Posted on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm planning a renaissance style headdress and could use some input on which weaves would work well for the head band portion. I plan to use stainless and would like it to be relatively sturdy and somewhat dense but delicate looking. I'm considering euro 6-1. Any other weave or ring size suggestions?

Submissions: 76

Posted on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 am

how about Celtic Stars like this:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=5771

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Hmm I might use Celtic Stars for the forehead pendant and the top but I feel like that weave would look bulkier than I'd like. Thanks for the input!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:01 pm

For the historically minded, we should note this project is alas not Renaissance style, but Renaissance Faire style, however graceful and decorative it be. To people of that time, mail was as plain-style military as a Parkerized .45 pistol of the 20th century. They didn't see much jewelry potential in it, though of course they liked their intricate golden chains and such. Some pearls in there wouldn't hurt one bit.

Invoking parkerization as a military baseline thing is slowly becoming more and more obsolete. In the 21st century, our weather resistant finishes for steel can come up rather prettier, camo'd even, and more corrosion resistant, than immersing metal things in a boiling aqueous solution of phosphoric acid. Which was very cheap, pretty simple, and worked... fairly well. Better than paint that could chip.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1