Tau Cross
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Tau Cross
Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am a newbie but I'm getting better. I am also a secular Franciscan. The symbol of our order is the Tau Cross. Has anyone seen or heard of a tutorial to weave a Tau Cross ? It is a cross without the top section. Like a capital "T". Thanks in advance I really appreciate how everyone
helps each other. Proud to be admitted to this community. Dragonscale

Submissions: 549

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 pm

I’ve not seen a tutorial for a Tau Cross, not any weave or unit that makes that specific shape, although there are likely a few that can be manipulated to do so. Getting the ends to flare out, and have that inward curve on the ends, if you’re going for that specific shape might prove a bit of a challenge. Especially getting it tight enough to hold up on its own.

I’m reminded of a few unique designs submitted by this member a few years ago: http://www.mailleartisans.org/members/memberdisplay.php?key=17488

Especially the Triangle crosses.

Beyond that there are naturally structure forming things like the Japanese 4 in 1 Cube, etc. If you want something flat and thick, check out candidates such as Captive Zen Sheet Full/Dense Zen Sheet Full, Helm Sheet/Conundrum, certain Byzantine sheets that can be made with a degree of stiffness.

Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 at very specific ARs that are AR of 4.8, or very slightly above will not flex at all, but might be hard to form into specific shapes.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 pm

You could probably get away with Making a Full Persian 6 in 1/ 6 in 1 Grizzly Cross and remove the top section. It won't be stylized and the tutorial doesn't appear to be rigid (might not hold its shape well), so experimentation might be in order.

At the very least, Full Persian 6 in 1 seems to be a common base weave to start with and see if you like how it's turning out.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 549

Posted on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 am

You could flare the ends via graduation by using a larger ring size on the tips.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1