Is this a new weave?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Is this a new weave?
Posted on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I tried to make Orchid Sheet with too large an AR and added extra rings to stabilize it, which turned it into a hybrid of Orchid Sheet and Bee Stings. Does this exist already? If not, does it count as a new weave? (I don't really understand what makes something a weave rather than a variant.)

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

While I Will not speak on If it’s a weave; The following distinktions can be made:

A variant or modification is a construct, reducible to another weave by simple means. Kinged or scaled weaves are, as such not by modern norms classified as weaves in them selves. (Trivial changes, not influencing the topology of the weave in major ways)

A design is a construct, where the components are not infinitely recurring, or when trivial additions are made to a weave. (Practical application).

A weave is a theoretical model, portraying a link (using knot theory definitions) infinitely repeating in 1 or more dimensions. I’d group weaves in three categories; antique, classical and modern. If a weave can be proven to have ancient origins, most maillers Will agree that it’s a weave, If it was used in several different pieces. If it has relative modern origins, critera are in many eyes lax, as innovation was slow up Until recently. expansion methods not accepted more than as a design today, were ”the rage” 100 years ago. Modern weaves, have forced us to have a stricter definition. With Computers and non-precious rings becoming cheap, experimentation and creation has expanded so fast, that our library would not be usable, If we accepted everything by elder standards.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1