Anti-Spam Registrations
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 4

Anti-Spam Registrations
Posted on Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi there!

Could I recommend that you set up a question-and-answer on the registration page and require email verification? On the latter, I don't remember if the board asked me to do this, so please ignore if it already does.

I use email verification + the question-and-answer on my phpBB setups and it has cut the bogus registrations down to nil. More here: https://www.phpbbservices.com/2015/11/25/fixing-phpbb-spam-registration-problems/#.WwyDay-ZP-Y

-- Kat aka JG

Submissions: 20

Re: Anti-Spam Registrations
Posted on Mon May 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Jackalgirl wrote:
Hi there!

Could I recommend that you set up a question-and-answer on the registration page and require email verification? On the latter, I don't remember if the board asked me to do this, so please ignore if it already does.

I use email verification + the question-and-answer on my phpBB setups and it has cut the bogus registrations down to nil. More here: https://www.phpbbservices.com/2015/11/25/fixing-phpbb-spam-registration-problems/#.WwyDay-ZP-Y

-- Kat aka JG

We used to have this, alongside an older version of ReCaptcha, it was removed as it was interfering with the newer Google Captcha...
I had initially left a "flag" on the Aol IM field (as it's no longer a thing...) as spammer seem to fill it out for some reason... But genuine users seem to fill it out for some reason as well.

Sadly, it's being defeated by humans. - The most recent spate are actual people, running a script, not bots... Which makes it more tricky.

It's an ongoing fight that I will (eventually) win.

Posted on Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 am

Well, dang. It's interesting that they only seem to post in the League Business forum; I suppose that was the first one created?

I know there are some phpBB plug-ins that are supposed to help handle spam, but if there's anything that I can do to help you out, please let me know!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue May 29, 2018 4:15 am

Jackalgirl wrote:
Well, dang. It's interesting that they only seem to post in the League Business forum; I suppose that was the first one created?

I know there are some phpBB plug-ins that are supposed to help handle spam, but if there's anything that I can do to help you out, please let me know!

Nope, not even close... Has ID17 in the listing. Possibly the word 'Business'... Couldn't say...
MAIL has some interesting challenges, because it carries a very high Search Engine ranking, due to sheer number of external links to us.

As for extra phpBB Plugins... That's a no go... The version of phpBB that runs here is... Well... Let's just say "heavily customized" under the hood.
Hell, the signup script I wrote from scratch. (The "default" location for the phpBB script is actually a honey trap.)
I'll happily nerd out a little if you're curious, feel free to PM me.

Offer is appreciated Smile Again, send me a PM and we can chat a little, maybe I can explain some of the... Complex... problems that a site like MAIL faces.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Tue May 29, 2018 4:36 am

As much as I hate this feature on other sites it may be worth considering having a captcha for every post, or at least to make new threads.

Re: Anti-Spam Registrations
Posted on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Well, it looks like we have another one. New user "kolkataqueen" is posting spam posts that consist of nothing but sex-bait clicks.

If you need to expand your team, I volunteer (I volunteered for Gallery duty over in the volunteer thread).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1