Chainmaille Designer program for Windows
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Chainmaille Designer program for Windows
Posted on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Chainmaille Designer is a Windows program to help chainmaillers visualize their chainmaille inlay designs accurately. Following in the footsteps of the old Irregular Grid Painter program, and backward compatible with designs and chainmaille weaves developed for the IGP, the Designer has numerous new features, including zoom and customizable palettes. Not only is it a significant improvement over the IGP, but it is far better than graph paper for working out original designs.

Download it free at DragonEnchained.com (my new baby web site). The download is a self-extracting executable installation program; just download the single file, then run it. The program includes a 91-page manual in both PDF and available as help from within the program.

...and please let me know how it works for you, either here or at dragonenchained@gmail.com.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 am

Sidenote: I only viewed the manual (since I'm currently booted into linux, so can't run it).

The detail for control on palettes looks really great.
The ability to place an image as a background to paint a design seems mighty useful.

Not to step on your toes, but I had an older (now kinda hidden) revisit to the IGP software over in this thread. It's definitely not as user-friendly.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 am

@TrenchCoatGuy Dancing around the toes; my seeing your post about your earlier work was one of the reasons I decided against an initial Qt implementation, since you were already doing that.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:59 pm

My initial impressions:

* I like that you deal with corners and edges. It's something I've give a bit of thought to, but never got to a level where I felt that it was ready to get of off the drawing board. Congrats!

* Mouse scroll zooming is great. It's even better when your cursor is the center of the zoom.

I've got a few more, but my lunch break is over and I've got to go to a meeting. Nice job!

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Posted on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 am

@Zlosk Thanks! Your opinion means a lot to me for all of the obvious reasons.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Sounds really neat, but I run on a Mac. Wish someone would design either a web version or something that could be used on all platforms.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Avast has issues with the executables. I had to turn off Avast to install it and also to run the program.

Posted on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:12 am

@MusicMan There is a web version *and* a multiplatform version of IGP. The multiplatform version was developed by TrenchCoatGuy (see his post a few above yours, or find his thread on the subject in this forum).

The web version was written by Andrew Ganim; search for posts by andrewganim.

Posted on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:20 am || Last edited by DragonEnchained on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

@JanPieter When I run on a system with Avast the first time, Avast puts a box around the window and doesn't allow interaction while it checks out the executable. All I have to do, though, is wait for Avast to decide that the executable is okay. At that point, Avast takes down the boxed window, then restarts the program without any restrictions. This behavior occurs both for running the installation executable, and the first time (but only the first time) that the Designer itself is run.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Hey there. Just downloaded the program, and AVG HATED it. Had to completely deactivate AVG to make it install correctly.

Got it working, and I like it except for one issue. Since you're a programmer, my buddies who know how to code (I don't) tell mei it's helpful to know what system the issue is on. here's what I'm running;

Windows 10 Home
AMD Phenom X6 1100 T Black Edition 3.5gHz hex core
16GB DDR3 ram
2GB ATI Radeon 7770 video card

This is what I get when I fullscreen it; https://i.imgur.com/LZYnG0n.jpg

I work on two 40" monitors since I write for a living (project on one screen, research/media on the other), and I've recently picked up mailling again after a 4 year hiatus. Working on rebuilding an inlay that I worked on a bit in 2014, and trying to work it off of the old, low res image I have of the design I made on IGP is difficult, but doable. I figured I'd redownload it, and found yours here.

Now, I was going to go link by link and rebuild the inlay on your program, so i would have an easy way to mark off the sections I have done, but working in such a tiny window makes it prohibitive to do so. Is there a way to enlarge the workspace to fill more of the screen? I skimmed the manual, but didn't find anything to tell me how to do that.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
The unintentional God of Chainmaille,
Brandon Cornwell

Posted on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:03 am

Hmm. I saw that exactly once, then couldn't reproduce it when I tried to track it to its source. I'll spend some time this weekend on it.

If you have the IGP version of the inlay, you should be able to open it in the Designer as is (then you'll have to specify the weave that goes with it since IGP didn't save that information). If all you have is the "pattern" image with the actual ring shapes, though, that won't work.

Posted on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Well, well. It turns out that Windows does not raise the ResizeEnd event when it finishes maximizing a window, as Celtic_Chainman tried. I've always resized by dragging edges or corners of the window, which works pretty well.

It seems like it ought to be trivial to find out what Windows does in the maximize case and tap into it, though I'll probably use the opportunity to also tinker with a few minor scrollbar issues, zooming and scrolling being so intimately interwoven.

In the meantime, the workaround is to drag edges or corners to resize.

Posted on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 pm

I should mention in that regard that dragging edges and corners, I have no trouble resizing my Designer to span the entirety of both of my 4K monitors.

Posted on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm

I've fixed the maximize issue reported by Celtic_Chainman above and corrected some scrollbar behavior and a wee problem with the Color Counts dialog (which wasn't showing the last digit of some of the larger counts).

The new version (1.0.1) of Chainmaille Designer is now available for download at DragonEnchained.com.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 am

Woo, I helped!

I appreciate the prompt fix, and I apologize for not checking back sooner!

I rebuilt my computer in the meantime, so now I can redownload the new program and run it fresh! Thank you very much!

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
The unintentional God of Chainmaille,
Brandon Cornwell

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next