Making steel wire by hand (no machines/modern tech)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Thanks so much for the reply you two! Very Happy Sorry for puzzling you, Konstantin the Red but now, "...the rain is gone..."
Matter of fact I am connected to a museum, the British Museum! Not a very big and large scale job just earning some money! Coif Smiley I shall probably be making the tools myself if I can but not the huge ones... Too big! I guess that's the question answered now! If anyone has other info feel free to share! Once I'm finished I'll stop checking this page but other people shall likely have the same question! Once again thanks for taking the time to reply and do the painstaking research required! Much appreciated Smile

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Well then, wham away! If you construct a small rustic wire drawing bench like in my pic, do drop us a pic of yours, either during construction or when all done! Very Happy

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am

Six months on, what cheer, Blacksmith101?

Posted on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 pm

WOW! Thanks so much for the help! I know this thread is a bit old but I am still going to respond, also, the reason why I am saying thanks is because I am Blacksmith101, but I forgot the password. So after a long while of attempting to restart the account I had to create a new one! Ok, the gig is all constructed, I am currently doing the necessary research Very Happy ! I have gained a ton of skills and know a lot more! The sling was for the mailler to swing back and forth as he drew the wire (girls would rarely participate in such "men's" jobs). Pretty boring but necessary! The one I have constructed was made by using plates of steel pierced with holes (using good techniques historical!) and has a swing similar to that depicted on the picture. I did not do it all alone as that would take me a lifetime, I had a few other colleagues help with making the forge and making the materials. Yes we did "Martha Stewart" the whole thing! It was hard but yes we did it and wrote some neat info on the matter! I can try to get pictures but can't guarantee anything as the stuff is being kept at the museum for research purposes. Once again, thanks so much for the help!

Posted on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Cutters Yaaaay! Smile

Posted on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Wow, never thought you’d check here again! I share your enthusiasm, yaaay!

Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 pm

So, Holy Saturday, end of March. Any new news?

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Sounds interesting! If you get some pictures I would love to see them also and could even put them in the gallery if you would like.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2