Ratio of ring sizes, Jap. 4-1
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Ratio of ring sizes, Jap. 4-1
Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, so I'm just recently trying to figure out Japanese 4-in-1 mail, and was wondering if anyone knew if the ratio of large rings to small ring sizes makes any difference to the strength of the weave?
Thanks! Very Happy

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm

This article may be what you're looking for: Japanese Weaves: Minimum AR Considerations.

Strength is generally a difficult item to estimate. The rule of thumb is 2 things factor into the calculation: 1. The AR of the rings used to weave it, smaller ARs being stronger. 2. The number of connections (such as 6 in 1 or 4 in 1), more rings interlocking being stronger. These two items fight against each other (as you need larger ARs to interlock more rings in each other).

Minimizing the ARs of the rings will be stronger than a non-minimized AR form.

As a note, other items are more important to strength than just the two things above:
How are the rings connected -- butted, welded, riveted, split. Welded/riveted/split rings are substantially stronger than butted rings.
What is the temper and material used? Spring tempered steel is substantially stronger than dead soft aluminum.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm

if you want it stronger you should make J 4in2 or experiment with larger wire diameters for the 1 ring.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1