Chainmaille to Micromaille Ring Adjustment
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Chainmaille to Micromaille Ring Adjustment
Posted on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Okay, I am not a beginner chainmaille maker or an expert, I would say somewhere in between.

Recently, started doing Micromaille, which I absolutely love. It has been easy to figure out the AR and then calculate the ring size for 24g wire. However, I have a new problem and need some help with it.

I have a weave pattern that calls for 16 g and 18 g wire and want to downsize it to use 24 g wire. However, after figuring out the AR and doing a test, the project is loose. So I figured it had to do with the two different sizes of wire.

My question is, when using two different sizes of wire and going from 16g/18g to 24g replacing the 18g, would I use 22g wire to replace the 16g wire? Or is it more trial and error or another formula?

Thanks for all of your help. =^.^=

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 am

my initial though on reading your post is: what gauge system are you using?
Just forget gauge all together, actually. What are the wire sizes in decimal inches (or milimeters). Check your AR's again that way.
If still something amiss, I would just do trial and error with a few sizes, weave a patch. see if you like it. Go from there. Cutters

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 am

Thank you for your input. The decimal wire diameter to get the AR was used, but didn't actually measure it, just used the AWG wire diameter for an 18g and 16g wire. I'm thinking that I need to use two different wire diameters to get the smaller version to work.

I was hoping that there might be some magical formula that might help me with the trial and error.

If I come up with good ring sizes, I will post them here.

If anyone else has that "magical" formula, your help is appreciated.

=^.^=

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 am

I second the dismissal of the gauge system.
16awg = 1.291mm
18awg = 1.024mm

To scale a two-gauge weave, find the ratio between the two WDs.
16awg/18awg = 1.2607

Select two new gauges that fit that criteria.
22awg = 0.644mm
24 awg = 0.511mm
22awg/24awg = 1.2603

If you happen to use the gauge system, the ratio is all going to be close for each of the steps. 21awg/23awg = 1.259. This pairing may be a bit tighter (depending upon the interactions of the weaves).

There are a ton of other factors that start coming into play for micromaille though, that may be your actual issue. Measuring will point out what the actual issue is. These items include: change in alloy, change in material hardness (springiness), tolerance in diameter, kerf from cutting, ring oval warping (more likely in small WD rings).

CMB has a nice archive of rings he's made with their final measured AR. I'll point to the stainless steel rings in his long chart: There are tons of alloys and that heavily impacts what you get out of the rings. Springier materials will create slightly larger rings (0.045" wire have 3 alloys -- 316L, 308, and 304 1/4 hard... 3/16" mandrel yields the following ARs: 4.8, 4.6, 4.6). CMB observes that their 316L material will create larger rings than 308 and 304 1/4hard (for everything else identical). Depending on your setup, your ARs may not match his (as he may have a different wire supplier, coil winding approach, cutting method).

I've been known to use different thickness saw blades to add slight variations in my ARs for micromaille. Since the wire is smaller, the rings will be a lot more sensitive to changes.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Awesome, great explanation of my issue!!! Thank you so much. I will report back once I have had a chance to try this.

Everyone is so helpful here and I really appreciate it. =^.^= Dorn

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1