M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Weave Study Objective
Create tutorials
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Find/create/link all variants associated
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Expand information on a specific weave (such as AR limits)
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Could we perhaps start with the topic of radials? We need to talk about this matter.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Karpeth wrote:
Could we perhaps start with the topic of radials? We need to talk about this matter.

The format was more to the topic of examining one weave, not a structural classification. I plan on keeping that same format. I also plan on varying greatly where the study travels in terms of weave popularity, difficulty, structure, and available knowledge. We will hit a radial weave, but it won't be the first weave.

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
There still might not be a lot of participation. There wasn't much when sakredchao was doing these things.

I'm aware. I tend to do things out of interest for myself. I tend to share things that others appear interested in. I've been wanting to restart this thread series for awhile simply out of personal interest, and only in the past couple months is the time availability coming into play. If others seem interested in joining in - then by all means join in.

--

In other news I found (what I think) of all of chao's old threads:
May 2012 Devils Stitch
December 2011 Hourglass
September 2011 I Chain
June 2011 Gridlock Byzantine

For those interested in getting a head start, I'll be making the thread for January 2016 in less than a week. I've already picked the weave: Half Persian 3 Sheet 5 Crossover. I'll try and announce the "next month's weave" a week in advance (Primarily to clean up and submit any remaining gallery images/articles and prep some rings for the next weave).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 378

Posted on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:31 pm

cool, one of my weaves!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:50 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
cool, one of my weaves!

16 SWG 3,8"? What AR is that?

I operate in mm, and when I saw 6.4 ideal, I thought I could try 6.15, but that seems too tight?

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:13 pm

maybe mithril will grant us a tutorial Smile

Posted on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Karpeth wrote:
I operate in mm, and when I saw 6.4 ideal, I thought I could try 6.15, but that seems too tight?

The text of the weave has only 1 listed. Normally gallery admins throw that in as the ideal (since the text doesn't suggest more than one AR was tested). The text, however, specifies rings AR of 6.4 for a minimum.

That being said, I have had a sample at AR of 7.1 for a bit. It doesn't quite hold its shape well until about 4 rows in (or columns, depending how you look at it). I may end up making the thread early to share some of the info.

project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Starting each weave discussion by generating a tutorial would at least ensure we all talk about the same weave. Just my 2c

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 am

Greeting again, weave analyzers.

It's been a year since the last thread that I hosted a thread on studying weaves.
We started off with a great collaborative effort, but I think the pacing was a bit off. 1 month per weave was far too fast (for even me to keep up).

Even with that, the chaos in my life caught up and forced my pliers to start gather dust. I'm not fond of that continuing.
Starting in 2018, I'm going to restart the threads.

I've been thinking about the best approaches to resolve this issue of pace.
I think the best idea will be the following:
Quarterly threads. 3 weaves to look at per thread. That means we get the same number of weaves per year, but longer to take a look at them.

Of course, I'm up for suggestions on other approaches/interests.

project.addRing();

Submissions: 313

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Three weaves per thread could work. Anyone wishing to participate can pick which one(s) they're interested in. Would the three be related somehow, or not?

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Perhaps try to coordinate with the theme contests, either choosing weaves with some sort of connection to the theme or just timing more carefully around them. I have missed a few weave studies because I was working on contest entries.

Posted on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Would the three be related somehow, or not?

I'm thinking unrelated. The idea originates from the discussions earlier in this thread - people have different interests, so have something for everyone to tinker with at the same time.

Slagr wrote:
Perhaps try to coordinate with the theme contests, either choosing weaves with some sort of connection to the theme or just timing more carefully around them.

The themes vary greatly and that's a difficult think to plan for. I'll definitely take it into account (say preference to structural/rigid weaves during sculpture contests), but can't say it'll match up perfectly for everyone.

project.addRing();

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2