Maille for Business
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Maille for Business
Posted on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

To be painfully honest, I have high-functioning autism and have not been successful with regular jobs. I would become ill and dangerously thin from the stress. I want to wean myself off of Social Security and be self-sufficient, aside from the fact that I can barely survive on it. I began doing maille as a hobby, but it was all over after wearing it. I had so many people asking me to make them what I was wearing. I paid for a business license as a fine artist last year, but have had so many requests for maille, I've hardly had time to paint. I'm not complaining, but I am concerned. How do I know which weaves have been around for so long that there are no patents? I've seen many beautiful weaves online (i.e. - pinterest, google, M.A.I.L., Etsy), but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. It seems when there is a new weave I've never seen, a few weeks later, it's everywhere for sale!

~ The Reluctant Business Owner

Submissions: 378

Re: Maille for Business
Posted on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

ArtsyT wrote:
To be painfully honest, I have high-functioning autism and have not been successful with regular jobs. I would become ill and dangerously thin from the stress. I want to wean myself off of Social Security and be self-sufficient, aside from the fact that I can barely survive on it. I began doing maille as a hobby, but it was all over after wearing it. I had so many people asking me to make them what I was wearing. I paid for a business license as a fine artist last year, but have had so many requests for maille, I've hardly had time to paint. I'm not complaining, but I am concerned. How do I know which weaves have been around for so long that there are no patents? I've seen many beautiful weaves online (i.e. - pinterest, google, M.A.I.L., Etsy), but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. It seems when there is a new weave I've never seen, a few weeks later, it's everywhere for sale!

~ The Reluctant Business Owner

welcome! congrats on your success so far. it's great to see people diving into chainmaille and attempting to make successful businesses. weaves cannot have pattents or be owned. they are open source. anyone can make stuff with them and sell. all the weaves on this site are open source. designs are different. you will find designs in the gallery here. they are specific items that people make. the difference between the two is complicated and no one agrees. so, just make what you want to make and give credit where you think credit is due. just don't copy another person's work ring for ring and you'll be fine.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1