Rings Per Unit Area for Weaves Other than European 4-1
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 30

Rings Per Unit Area for Weaves Other than European 4-1
Posted on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:40 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I think it would helpful to make a community effort of testing and recording the number of rings needed to cover a given area (or possibly length for chains) for a variety of weaves. The Ring Lord provides the number of rings/foot for E4-1 under each of their ring sizes, but right now the best thing one can do to try and estimate the number of rings needed for a non-E4-1 project is to buy or make a sample patch and extrapolate. However, extrapolation leads to compounding errors and produces to a less precise result.

Many users in this community have made relatively large patches of a variety of weaves, and it would be useful if those users could count (or more realistically calculate) the approximate number of rings in a square foot of that weave for that ring size.

I believe this could become another one of this site's invaluable resources to the mail community.

I made a few rough measurements just now:

Moorish Rose 20 awg, 3/16" -- approx. 14400 rings/ft^2
Hoodoo Hex Sheet 16 swg, 3/16" -- approx. 2300 rings/ft^2
Elfsheet 16 swg, 1/4" -- approx. 3700 rings/ft^2
Vipera Berus Sheet 14 swg, 5/16" -- approx. 3660 rings/ft^2
Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 14 swg, 7/16" -- approx 2330 rings/ft^2

Submissions: 313

Posted on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

But what about ring size inconsistencies due to springback?

That sample made out of pinch cut titanium rings will have significantly less rings per area than the one made out of the "same size" copper rings, especially since those rings were saw cut, pushing their measured ID (and resulting AR) down even further.

Incidentally, I wrote an article on how to extract this info for some of the less straight forward weaves. I didn't go into how to do it with hexagonally-expanding sheet ("radial") weaves though: Calculating Rings Per Coverage.

What method did you use for Moorish Rose, and Hoodoo Hex Sheet?

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:55 am

I should have known you would have already thought about this. For the hexagonal weaves I measured the length of a side (s) and used the formula for the area of a hexagon ((3sqrt(3)*s^2)/2), then counted the number of units on the measured side (m) and the number of units on the longest diagonal (m), then used Wolfram Alpha for triangular number stuff:

mth triangular number + (m-1)th triangular number - 2(n-1)th triangular number = total number of units in hexagonal area

Then multiplied by the number of rings per unit.

As far as springback is concerned I would expect denser weaves to absorb those effects to some extent, but over the entirety of a square foot it would definitely make a difference. This is why I added "approx." to each of my calculations so far. I suppose that the exact AR should be specified too.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Moorish Rose 18g 5/16"
8740 rings/sqft

theringlord.com Titanium 18g 5/16"
Measured ID = 0.320
Measured WD = 0.048
Actual AR = 6.67
4x8 unit parallelogram, 192 rings
Measured Width = 2.99", center-to-center
Measured Height = 1.06", center-to-center