Check out NASA's new "chain maille"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 3

Check out NASA's new "chain maille"
Posted on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just saw a headline go by in my reddit feed referring to some chain maille that NASA designed, and the weave they came up with is pretty crazy. It's got rings attached to a square scale, then linked together...and it's 3D printed!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/248379-nasa-debuts-3d-printed-ultra-durable-multi-function-space-chain-mail

It bears a strong resemblance to Klingon scale...coincidence? I think not!

Submissions: 22

Posted on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Amazing!
I'm surprised it bends outward so easily!

By zooming on the image, each unit looks like to be one single solid "ring".
I wonder if they have a way to connect patches together, or if it has to be 3D-printed all in a single run.
And how to make repairs???

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Looking closer, I think you're right about all the rings in a unit being printed as a solid piece (i.e, no flexibility within the unit). In the article he says they are printed already connected but I would assume it would be possible to make patches by cutting the rings and connecting them. They don't say what the metal/alloy is, but one would assume that if it could be "printed" using an additive process then it could also be spot welded to close the cut.

He says it has good thermal dissipation and unique electromagnetic properties, so I'm thinking this could have applications as thread armor on Pern. Razz

Submissions: 24

Posted on Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am

Looks like Brej√£o Flowers with rings fusing it at the top/bottom as well as branching the rings.

Most of the space stuff with 3D printing is done in some special aluminum alloy, due to the weight cost of sending it into space.

Very interesting...

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1