Even JPLs
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 8

Even JPLs
Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:40 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

After making JPL7 Ropage I figured there would be variants for the even JPLs as well. JPL4 should have steps of 360/4=90 degrees and the variant 180. I made JPL4 Ropage and was pleased with myself thinking I found a new weave.

I checked the weave library and the listed JPL4 is exactly what I made. So I opened my 3d software and set out to find the real JPL4. Step of 90 degrees gives you X-Weave lol. So I'm thinking X-Weave is actually JPL4. The listed JPL4 is it's variant. Oh well Smile

While I was in my 3d software I had a look at JPL6 and rendered these with steps of 60, 120 and 180 degrees. For the last one I cheated a bit, I knew it would be a Ropage and used a step of 155.5 degrees for 6 rings and then copied them twice. The gap the 5.5 degrees leaves was necessary to prevent intersecting at the other side.

There's also Joshua's JPL6 but I have skipped that one for now. I'll try that one later.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm || Last edited by JanPieter on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

The JPL6 I rendered I think could be seen as a progression of X-Weave, so it would be X-Weave 10 in 1. The first variant looks like a sort of double JPL3. I'll have to think of a good name for it unless it's already in the library.

Before I made JPL4 I wondered how it would look if I make JPL4 (Ropage) without comprising for the alternating under and above which in uneven JPLs results in an alternating lean. This gives what I've named Ropage Interrupted 6 in 1.

The real one I made looks nice but doesn't bend well. Perhaps useful for (coloured) earrings. The progression of this would be Ropage Interrupted 10 in 1.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:18 pm

nice work! none of them are symmetrical except x weave, right? meaning, they don't alternate left/right leaning of the rows, right? i've been in search of a jpl6 that theoretically should exist but i've never been able to find it. it would have this signature of leaning rows - l,l,rr,ll,rr... so, alternating 2 left leaning rows and then 2 right leaning rows. the result would be symmetrical. i can get the rows to do this, but the degree of turn/skipping ring is not consistent. it will skip 3, 3, 2, 1 or something like that. i've never been able to find the right start configuration to make the turn consistent.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:43 pm

it looks like your 1st and 3rd pic in the post are alternating l,r,l,r..

i don't know how that's possible, but if you've done it and it's symmetrical and balanced on all sides, i would say you've really found something!

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm

oh, looks like the skip is inconsistent in the 1st pic? 3rd pic looks good - skipping 0 every time. that one would probably be the most viable new weave i think.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah, the skip is inconsistent in pic 1 and 3. I wonder if pic 1 is the same as XX-weave. The 2nd pic is consistent. I haven't tried them yet.

I have tried making JPL6 Ropage using your ll, rr, ll, rr scheme for hours. I couldn't but I don't know if it's impossible.

Edit:

I've flipped 2 rows and now the X-Weave 10 in 1 does appear symmetrical using your ll, rr, ll, rr scheme Smile I'll render it later.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:49 pm

me too, it may not be possible and we are just spinning wheels. it's so tempting to find a really nice symmetrical jpl6.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm not fully up to speed with what you guys are doing, but is the second picture same as half-persian 4 in 1??
I'm mostly interested in practical jewelry weaves, but the theory stuff is interesting too.
I might have a go at Mithrilweaver's one in the picture. that is handsome.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:26 pm

No, the 2nd picture is like JPL3 in that it repeats itself every 3 rings, but you're doing 2 rotations in 1. It looks easy enough. I'll try in a bit.

Here's the new render version of the first pic. Here the 'arrow' directions alternate and the lean goes ll, rr, ll, rr etc.

The AR is a bit high but that's because it can be hard to find the optimal position in 3d.

Posted on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Meh, I just made the weave in the 2nd pic and it's the same as One and a Half Half Persian 4 in 1 Sad

Posted on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm || Last edited by JanPieter on Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 am; edited 3 times in total

I made myself a tutorial for the last pic and build a little chain but it doesn't look interesting. I made the 'X-Weave 10-1' version as well and that may be somewhat interesting, have to try again in a lower AR.

For those versions I started with a step of 60 degrees which gives the problem that each 4th ring is opposite. So when I give the rings a lean the AR locking rings go the wrong way and always intersect. I rotated half as a work around but that kills the symmetry.

This time I tried a step of less than 60 degrees finding enough space for each 4th ring. This results in a spiral pattern that's no longer JPL.

Here's what it does with JPL4.

Posted on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

As was to be expected the spiral in the last picture is a bit silly IRL.

I now have found the weave I was looking for Smile I went back to X-Weave and this time made it by rotating 90 degrees and giving each ring the same lean and lateral offset. This gave a clean symmetrical X-Weave.

Then I used the same method for 60 degrees and this gave an 'X-Weave 8 in 1'. It has the arrows from X-Weave but not the cross-shape. Will need a new name.

After the start you flip a ring then add a new ring ontop which goes through 4 of the 5 available rings. That way the lean can alternate each row.

I made a little sample with AR=6.0. A bit tight for a bracelet.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Jan,

Do you know if it is as AR sensitive as JPL3? If AR:6 is tight, would you jump up to AR: 6.2/6.3 or could you get away with an AR: of 6.5/6.6?

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:41 pm

It's not actually tight, I assume I could get it around my wrist but it would be (almost) bend at it's max at the front and back. It would work just fine as necklace.

The rings I used for the sample are 11x1.4mm rings (OD). I think an AR of 6.1 or 6.2 would work best. I have a small bag of 8x1mm (OD) rings that are about 6.1-6.2. I'll try that next.

X-Spiral 6 is the name I came up with. There is a variant but the AR seems too high for me just as X-Spiral 8.

Posted on Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Here's X-Spiral 8:

Each new ring goes through 6 of the 7 previous rings. It was rendered with an AR of 8.6, the real version might not need an AR quite that high.

P.s.
The variant for X-Spiral 6 I thought I saw was again One and a Half Half Persian 4 in 1 lol.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1