how to double spiral chain?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 7

how to double spiral chain?
Posted on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

hey there.
I can't find any info about howto double a spiral chain.
I tried this more than once now. I mean, i think it's the same way howto make a cord out of wool (did that when i was aa child): i just twist it fully, then take it by half and continue twisting. But the the result is that the other side untwists by the end instead of wrapping itself around the other one. I'm goin nuts!

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:54 am

Do you mean Spiral 8 in 2? If not do you have a picture of what you're trying to make?

Posted on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 pm

oh ok...
i thought it was made from a 4in1 - didnt know, there was a real interconnection.
Or lets say, what i want is a spiral chain that doesn't untwist, when let loose.

Posted on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Oh wait, I've seen pics of bracelets like that at Facebook. It's called Spiral Wrap. If you'd like 2 spirals in one that don't untwist you could have a look at JPL7 Alternate.

Posted on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:03 pm

jpl huh? One of the very rare weaves that tend to fry m brains.

But in the end, i managed things: I put one end of the spiral chain on a hook, twisted it, folded it to the middle, took it from the hook and put the middle ring back to the hook. Then held one end with my teeth and turned the other end around this end, placing the rings evenly to each other. Then i just connected both ends with an additiona ring to keep things from untwisting.
Very easy thing in the end, but you have to understand howto do this, but really looks great now and it's a lil bit funny to see that i have a twisted double-layer chain without interconnections that does not untwist...

Submissions: 30

Posted on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 am

Your method for making Spiral Wrap is fine, but I've found that while wearing it you can get small kinks that form on one strand or the other which are easy enough to get out but can be annoying. Personally now that JPL5 Alternate / Ropage exists I'll be making that from now on instead of spiral 4-1, 8-2, or wrap. I can't recommend learning JPL and its variants enough.

Posted on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19 am

that's true; i don't like the kinks either. On the other hand, i rather try to keep things "easy" as i used tiny keyrings in stead of split rings to make a rather durable key-chain and it's hardly possible to to open them that wide for JPL or similar unless destroying their shape...

Posted on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:22 pm

You can attach a key ring or split ring (aren't they the same?) by just opening the jump ring in stead of forcing it through the split ring.

When I'm adding something to JPL for the last ring in the weave pattern I use a ring with a bigger diameter so there's a bit of room. Ideally the last ring has the same thickness as the other rings but for some JPL chains your last ring needs to be thicker to prevent unraveling.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1