Another JPL question (JPL5, JPL7 and so on...)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

JanPieter wrote:
JPL7 Skip 3 in 3dsMax. AR=8.0 was the smallest AR I didn't get any intersecting with. I didn't use any coding to find the optimal so it may not be the minimum AR but I assume it's pretty close.

(pic)

Beautiful. I'll have to see if I have the right combination of wire and mandrels for 8-8.2 but I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 am

wow, those are beautiful renderings. thanks so much.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:14 am

You're welcome. These JPL weaves are pretty easy to make in 3d. Now that I have them it's also easy to make non-flip tutorials for them. Flip tutorials would take more effort.

I'll see if I can try JPL5 Skip 2 tomorrow. I won't be able to make JPL7 Skip 3 myself but I can make a tutorial for it in a few days or so.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:40 am

So I figured out JPL5S2. Very aesthetic weave and one of the cleanest structurally-spiraling chains I've seen.

I used 16 swg, 5/16" TRL SS with an AR of 5.2 which is very near the maximum.

Compared with JPL5 standard, same rings:

Sorry about the pic quality. I can't find my good camera.

JanPieter, I'll defer the weave submission to you if you want.

Posted on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 am

Wtg Slagr! Using Zlosk's naming scheme I think yours would be JPL5 Skip 3. It looks very nice.

I'm about to render the steps for my picture tutorial.

Slagr wrote:
JanPieter, I'll defer the weave submission to you if you want.

Thanks, I'd like that.

Considering you were able to make it with AR=5.2 means the ARs for the other 2 may be significantly lower as well.

Posted on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:10 pm || Last edited by JanPieter on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

My AR=5.2 rings are too loose. The rings wouldn't lock. So I took 9.5x1.4mm (o.d.) AR=4.8~4.9 rings and made this. The chain is loose enough for a bracelet but a bit looser may be better, perhaps AR=5.0.

Tutorial

Marking the first ring(s) will help keep track of the right order when the rings still flop about.

Posted on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:54 am

I've been attempting the other variants starting with JPL7 Skip 2 (JPL7 Alternate) which didn't take too long, it helps when you already know what AR works Wink I tried JPL9 Skip 2, which is similar to JPL7 Skip 2, with AR=7.3-7.4 rings and it got completely rigid after 14 rings. Maybe that info helps someone else, I don't have larger rings.

JPL7 Skip 3 is really tough because you start with a 7 ring mobius. I've been trying it with AR=6.4 and I just get lost. I tried starting with a few thicker rings and got stuck quickly. I've also tried it with a metal wire guide with 7 loops, seemed to work at first but I couldn't go beyond 10 rings because of the guide.

Perhaps a wire guide so the mobius stays flexible? Too bad I don't have coloured rings, might make it easier.

If I get bored I'll render the other JPL9 variants assuming others want to see them.

Posted on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 pm || Last edited by JanPieter on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

The JPL5 variant has been added to the weave library as JPL5 Alternate / Ropage. I thought that would make it easier to understand it's a variant like Joshua's is but a different one.

I thought about how to get JPL7Skip3 started again. Then it hit me I already know how to get 5 in the right place with Ropage and then I just squeeze in 2 extra.

I started with a flexible JPL5 Ropage at the left and there's JPL7 Ropage at the right Smile

The rings aren't that great (7.7mm ID 1.2mm), if I average the wire diameter the AR is 6.5. I'm getting new rings which are hopefully better quality.

Edit.
Just JPL7 Ropage:

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 am || Last edited by lorraine on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total

I have to admit, I love the simplicity and symmetry of Zlosk's original JPL progressions. Maybe it's just me, but... I do.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:11 am

lorraine, on your way to JPL15 you skipped 15 uneven JPL variants :p

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7