Tiffany Weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 20

Tiffany Weave
Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for Tiffany? I am not getting it from the one here on Mail.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:37 am

This is how I learned it: Tiffany

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, Lorraine. So, I got it figured out. I did manage to get there with the MAIL in-house tutorial, linked above.

If you want to learn Tiffany, here is my advice:
1) Master Elfweave chain first.
2) Understand which are the Planar Rings in the elfweave.
3) Learn and master elfsheet.
4) Make some more elf sheet, until you can do it in your sleep.
5) Now open up the Tiffany tutorial.
6) I found it helpful to make a very long starter chain and patch.
7) Focus on the full linkages for each step, don't bother with the special ones on the ends (partial linkages). Just make a longer strip and work in the middle.
8 ) Put it down and go away when you are not getting it. Come back and try again later after you have had time to think about it.
9) Flipping the entire thing over for all the planar rings is helpful at each step in the process. reaching underneath is hard IMO.
10) Use right-handed rings if you want to follow the tutorial. TRL rings are what I call "right-handed". I make and use left-handed rings, and they don't spin/hook into position easily working from left to right.
11) I used 0.0625 dia (16swg) saw cut stainless on 9/32 mandrel. I found this aspect ratio to be fairly loose, too loose for my taste, but tight enough to hold it's shape. This is probably middle-of-the-road aspect ratio for Tiffany.
12) Use copper or aluminum for learning rather than stainless.
13) Tiffany is actually a sheet weave, rather than a chain or strap. It's not "Tiffany" until middle row of 3 (or more) rows.
14) I suspect there is a very pretty strap weave to be made from this, if the rings are tapered smaller for each row toward the outside. I don't care for loose floppy rings on the edges. Perhaps I will have a go at that eventually.

Overall, one of the harder weaves to learn for me. This is partly due to the fact that I was clueless on elf-style weaves to start. Just like any other weave though, once you get it, you "get it", like riding a bicycle.

Now on to my next challenge: HooDoo Hex! Cutters

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 am

Pfeiffer wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Lorraine. So, I got it figured out. I did manage to get there with the MAIL in-house tutorial, linked above.

If you want to learn Tiffany, here is my advice:
1) Master Elfweave chain first.
2) Understand which are the Planar Rings in the elfweave.
3) Learn and master elfsheet.
4) Make some more elf sheet, until you can do it in your sleep.
5) Now open up the Tiffany tutorial.
6) I found it helpful to make a very long starter chain and patch.
7) Focus on the full linkages for each step, don't bother with the special ones on the ends (partial linkages). Just make a longer strip and work in the middle.
8 ) Put it down and go away when you are not getting it. Come back and try again later after you have had time to think about it.
9) Flipping the entire thing over for all the planar rings is helpful at each step in the process. reaching underneath is hard IMO.
10) Use right-handed rings if you want to follow the tutorial. TRL rings are what I call "right-handed". I make and use left-handed rings, and they don't spin/hook into position easily working from left to right.
11) I used 0.0625 dia (16swg) saw cut stainless on 9/32 mandrel. I found this aspect ratio to be fairly loose, too loose for my taste, but tight enough to hold it's shape. This is probably middle-of-the-road aspect ratio for Tiffany.
12) Use copper or aluminum for learning rather than stainless.
13) Tiffany is actually a sheet weave, rather than a chain or strap. It's not "Tiffany" until middle row of 3 (or more) rows.
14) I suspect there is a very pretty strap weave to be made from this, if the rings are tapered smaller for each row toward the outside. I don't care for loose floppy rings on the edges. Perhaps I will have a go at that eventually.

Overall, one of the harder weaves to learn for me. This is partly due to the fact that I was clueless on elf-style weaves to start. Just like any other weave though, once you get it, you "get it", like riding a bicycle.

Now on to my next challenge: HooDoo Hex! Cutters

Excellent advice! Sometimes you have to start with the basics and move your way up. Smile

Have you seen Celtic Strap? It's really pretty and fun!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1