should this be put in?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 100

should this be put in?
Posted on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was working out this scaled design (pics are different grain orientations of same weave) it is kinda like Poor Emperor's Scale and Poor King's Scale with euro 4in1 segment in the middle along both grains rather than just the one. the cousin ing is somewhat unique though similar to Double Step which is not in the library anyway (for reference http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=8464 (another weave i would advocate should be added though not my creation so not sure i get a vote on that one)) . the only down side is the cousin overlap comes apart on the edges unless the pattern is interrupted with smaller stabilizing rings which makes it less user friendly imo. i used 16swg 3/16 1/4 and 3/8 in this sample. what do you think should it be in the library? thinking it could be called Poor Cousin's Scale or Kissing Cousin's Scale though the later is more monarchy joke than a serious suggestion. [img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img]

Submissions: 96

Posted on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:44 pm

To the gallery? Yes. To the weaves library? No.

These are, as you described them yourself, scaled designs and, as such, would be best submitted to the gallery. (Lovely work though!)

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Posted on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:32 am

Yeah I get scaling is a mod and the base weave is euro but I feel there should be room for examples of "cousining in the weave library since the technique is a great way to bring down the AR of weaves that are otherwise less stable.

Submissions: 96

Posted on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:14 pm

It's not simply the scaling. It's that the 'cousining' isn't enough of a structural difference and is precarious at best. If you don't have just the right ARs the over-lap falls out and it's the regular weave again. It's an interesting mod/design, but it's a minor mod/design that is still best suited to the gallery and/or in articles.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Posted on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:35 pm

they do end up with a fairly narrow AR range.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1