Amendments to Theme Contest Rules (Discussion)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 18

Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 4:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know people are against giving out prizes for the winners.

I am not against prizes, but I think it should be related to our goals as a site, so I propose the idea that if prizes are awarded in the future, that maybe they should be maille supplies. Maybe a few ounces of rings or even a small gift certificate for theringlord.com?

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Shadowknight wrote:
I know people are against giving out prizes for the winners.

I am not against prizes, but I think it should be related to our goals as a site, so I propose the idea that if prizes are awarded in the future, that maybe they should be maille supplies. Maybe a few ounces of rings or even a small gift certificate for theringlord.com?

if there were a prize, it would most likely be along these lines.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 0

i'm in
Posted on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 pm

recycled materials accepted? i'm new to this site but think i have one of the winners!

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 pm

IT'S ALIVE!

as of contest #20

Contest Rules
1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry should be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100KB and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

4. The submission period for entries generally lasts 12 weeks. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

Submissions: 46

Posted on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 am

I suggest to add one more rule:

Maille has to be shown in its natural „habitat“ or surroundings.

Reasons:
- Sometimes pieces of maille, like clothes or some jewellery, have different forms/shapes while they are worn instead of lying on the ground.
- Some people are inspired by the contests and they try to copy those pieces or create similar ones. And when they've finished their work and realize this piece of maille looks less beautiful in reality (hanging or dangling) than in theory (lying on the ground) they are disappointed.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.1 R5.2 Ep Fe4.1 MBz Wghm Cwec G0.4-1.8 I1.2-7.0 N35 Pdsa Dacdjs Xg86t13w2 S03

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Catweazle wrote:

Reasons:
- Sometimes pieces of maille, like clothes or some jewellery, have different forms/shapes while they are worn instead of lying on the ground.
- Some people are inspired by the contests and they try to copy those pieces or create similar ones. And when they've finished their work and realize this piece of maille looks less beautiful in reality (hanging or dangling) than in theory (lying on the ground) they are disappointed.

Disagree Razz

Most of my maille spends its life living in piles, heaps, bags, etc... LOL
I'd estimate 80% of maille I've ever made is never worn.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 am

Catweazle wrote:

If that was a rule, I wouldn't enter.

I normally scan my craft pieces with a computer scanner, because that takes nicely focused images with little fuss for me. This rule would require me to take photographs in a mirror of me wearing the piece. Not only would you have to look at my ugly mug, but the photographic quality would be much worse. And I don't want you to see my ugly mug anyway!

So much extra fuss for a worse result? No way!

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

I have a question in regards to posting our entries on Facebook.

I'm a member of several Facebook pages devoted to Chainmaille.

I'm sure there are members here who are members of those Facebook pages as well, as well as some members here whom do not use Facebook.

If I were to post on those pages before voting would that give me added exposure and possibly an advantage when it comes to voting compared to those who don't use Facebook?

Or am I just over thinking this?
Oriental 4 in 1

I admire its purity. A survivor … unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm

You're over-thinking this. Razz

Only MAIL's members can vote, so people seeing your submission on Facebook of whatever, but not being registered on this forum, would not give any advantage.

Worst-case scenario: They'll come to MAIL, register, vote, make you win the invaluable token of awesomeness, and hopefully become active members of our community. Or just lurk and enjoy this site, that's good too.
... That sound more like a best-case scenario to me. Laughing

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks! Needlenose Pliers Cutters

I admire its purity. A survivor … unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:32 am

ENCOURAGING them to come here, register, and vote (for you) however... Would be frowned upon Smile But you'd not do anything naughty like that, so I'm not worried.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:46 am

I would not. Very Happy Very Happy

I want to win honestly. Dragonscale

I won't ask, encourage, or expect people to come here register, and to vote just for me.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:29 am

meh, I've tried to trick my facebook friends into checking out this site by encouraging them to vote for me in theme contests, it didnt work, the registration hurtle must have proven too exhaustive. but i agree the contest winner is of little consequence and exposing people to this sites wealth of information is paramount.

Jump to:  
Page 11 of 11. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11