brass rings color ?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

brass rings color ?
Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi.

I have some jevelers brass rings and some old ones from Blue Buddha, but the color is not the same, one is warmer, how is that passible ?
I like the warmer color best, where can I get more of them is possible ?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:46 am

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so slightly different colors can be made by changing the relative amounts of each component metal. You can get more of the one you like by ordering more from the same source if it still exists. If not, it may be difficult to find the exact same one without determining the exact alloy which can be done with a bit of chemical testing. It may be easier to order a small amount of whatever alloys you can find to try to match the color.

It's also important to remember that most brass is reactive to water in the air, meaning that older rings will become less bright over time. It's possible that the two colors you have are the same alloy at varying stages of patina.

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Slagr wrote:
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so slightly different colors can be made by changing the relative amounts of each component metal. You can get more of the one you like by ordering more from the same source if it still exists. If not, it may be difficult to find the exact same one without determining the exact alloy which can be done with a bit of chemical testing. It may be easier to order a small amount of whatever alloys you can find to try to match the color.

It's also important to remember that most brass is reactive to water in the air, meaning that older rings will become less bright over time. It's possible that the two colors you have are the same alloy at varying stages of patina.

thanks for the info, may the warm colored is just more vintage Smile

Posted on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 am

It can be frustrating, even the same alloys can be different colors.
Even after tumbling or rubbing with steel wool.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:34 am

Sounds like you have Jewellers Brass and Yellow Brass on your hands...
The Ring Lord had a stock of both at one time... I like yellow brass, myself.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1