View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

problem finding things
Posted on Fri May 27, 2016 9:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi.

I have been here many times over the years, but even so I find
it difficult to find things here, there is SO much.

Are there a kind of map to follow ? I'm still on the "newbie" plan, maybe I allways will be.

Would it be more easy to get a old fashion book to follow ?
and if, what is the one to get.

I'm most drawn to pretty simple modern chainmaille style, for jewelry. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 30

Posted on Sat May 28, 2016 4:40 am

If you are mostly interested in simple weaves you would probably want to use the "alpha" tag in the weaves gallery. This basically filters the complicated things out.

Library > Weaves > Weaves Home

Check the boxes for "alpha" and "chain."

Learn how to filter the exact results you want using the tags and it will make it much easier to explore the weaves library.

I don't know much about navigating the articles or submission gallery though.

Posted on Sat May 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, I,ll try that

Submissions: 106

Re: problem finding things
Posted on Sun May 29, 2016 12:16 am

lisaastrup wrote:
Hi.

I have been here many times over the years, but even so I find
it difficult to find things here, there is SO much.

Are there a kind of map to follow ? I'm still on the "newbie" plan, maybe I allways will be.

Would it be more easy to get a old fashion book to follow ?
and if, what is the one to get.

I'm most drawn to pretty simple modern chainmaille style, for jewelry. Coif Smiley

Granted... it's overwhelming information. I stumbled upon MAIL in 2002 and then didn't come back until two years later. I eventually learned to navigate the site. It's even MORE overwhelming now. Sad But all I can say is "just try, start slow, look at all you can take in at one time... then come back." Eventually you will learn to take small bites and learn about the site. If you have problems, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask specific questions!? Really, we were all in your place at one time.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sun May 29, 2016 9:27 am

When I joined as a total beginner another member in chat explained how to use the Aspect Ratio search at first to keep it simple. Choose 'Exactly Equal to' and 'Single Ring Size Weaves ONLY'.

When I'm looking for a certain weave I use Google: maille <name>, that always gets me to the right page at this website and then if I like it I will bookmark it for later.

Hi
Posted on Tue May 31, 2016 12:00 pm

I.m glad that I.m not the only one that can.t find the way. I tryed to find the weave box mail, and ended op with to many, thenI used youtube and found it.

Its confusing with 7-8 types of box weave when you are new at it, don.t even know what is what.

Submissions: 20

Re: Hi
Posted on Tue May 31, 2016 7:01 pm

lisaastrup wrote:
I.m glad that I.m not the only one that can.t find the way. I tryed to find the weave box mail, and ended op with to many, thenI used youtube and found it.

Its confusing with 7-8 types of box weave when you are new at it, don.t even know what is what.

This is a good point... It's possible that Weave Results should order by popularity.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 61

Re: Hi
Posted on Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:44 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
lisaastrup wrote:

This is a good point... It's possible that Weave Results should order by popularity.

Or at least have the option of doing so.

I think the main difficulty in finding things in the Weaves database is that it's hard to narrow things down, because you can only search for one type of thing at a time: you can search by tags only, or by name only, or by AR only. What would be helpful would be an "Advanced Search" which could search by any of those things, all at the same time. That is, one form which enables one to search by name, AND by tags, AND by whether a weave has gallery images, AND by AR, plus additional things such as AR-range, description, whether a weave has a tutorial, whether a weave has multiple AR sizes, whether a weave's ARs use multiple wire sizes, and maybe even who a weave was submitted by. I know all those pieces of information are in the database, so it should be possible to search by them.

So, DL, how long would that take to implement? Very Happy

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1