15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
GreyElk
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

Submissions: 106

***Vote for the Winner of Theme Contest 31 - Storytelling***
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 am || Last edited by lorraine on Sat May 28, 2016 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Please read this before voting!
Because this theme is, well... it's complicated... I'm making each entry a copypasta of the whole entry in its very own thread. Each entry has the name of the entrant and a link to their entry in the original thread at the top. This way you can see all the pictures and the description in the theme contest voting thread.

Voting will be open for one week, until the end of Friday May 27, 2016.

Good luck to all the entrants!

Contest Rules
1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry must be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite and placing the picture in your post with the Img link. Please don't make us hunt for your entry because it is posted on another site. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100KB and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

4. The submission period for entries generally lasts 12 weeks. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

Contest Rules Discussion Thread
Theme Contest Archives

djgm
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:47 am

djgm http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#240138
so every storyteller needs a pouch to hold various props and tools, this pouch has geometrically shaped wooden things in it but that's a whole other story. the pouch is mostly cobrahinge with an European expanding circle base, stainless steel 16swg 5/16" forthe most part with some 1/4 and 3/16.[img]
[/img][img]
[/img]

Chainmaibasket_com
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 am

Chainmaibasket_com http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#240329
European 4 in 1, 9/64" mandrel
.046"/.047" bright aluminum
.048" bronze, nickel silver, brass, copper, stainless steel
AR of 3.4 AR of 3.3 AR of 3.2
7/16" mandrel (stainless binding rings (AR of 10.8))
17,734 rings total

page 1

page 2

page 3

page 4

page 5

fin

Slagr
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:49 am

Slagr http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#240330
What better way to tell a story than with a book? Looks like CMB had a similar idea.

Ferric Grimoire

Cover

Vipera Berus in 14 swg, 5/16" with the berus omitted on the bends.

Page 1

European 4 in 1 in 16 swg, 3/16" blackened steel with brass lettering inlay.

Page 2

Page 3 (Lorraine: please use this pic for the voting thread)

Page 4

Page 5

Back cover

It does actually say something but I'm curious to see if anyone is interested in deciphering before I post the translation. I'll edit this post with the answer on Friday.

EDIT: Transcript:

Code:

S I M O N
 M E N Z

2 0 1 6

L O C K -
E D   I N
T H E
A P E X
O F   A
M A Z E ,

T H E
W I S E
Q U E R Y
B U T
N E V E R
J U D G E

Z E S T
A B O U T
L I F E
C A N
V E X
D E A -

T H ' S
W A R Y
Q U A L -
M S ; G O
J O K E ,
P L A Y .

The body of the piece consists of two pangrams, which are sentences that use every letter of the alphabet at least once. I transposed the binary representations of ASCII characters onto 3-2-3 (8-bit) characters in the maille, then made the least significant bit an odd parity bit, meaning that every character has an odd number of gold rings-- usually 3 or 5. So 'A' is represented by
1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 in odd-parity binary ASCII which translates in mail as
Code:

1 0 0
 0 0
0 1 1

I used variable kerning for characters less than 3 columns wide fo aesthetic reasons, although I realized afterward that this leads to some ambiguity such as '1' and ','. Context usually makes it clear which one was intended, but in the future I might make numbers even parity instead to avoid this issue.

kerravonsen
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:50 am

kerravonsen http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#240331
When I was considering storytelling, my thoughts turned to the threads of a story, the way that characters arive and depart, interact with each other for a while, go away, come back, and usually all turn up in the same place for the climax.

So I decided to do a character "timeline" necklace for a specific bunch of characters in a particular story - the "Nine Walkers" of The Lord of the Rings. That is: Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. I went off to the internets and found a timeline, and made a chart of when people were together and when they weren't, and I based the necklace on that. The chart is NOT to scale; some sections, such as the Breaking of the Fellowship, are longer than others because everyone was wandering all over the place, whereas other sections which took longer amounts of time are quite short, because everyone was together.

So here 'tis:

And here it is with explanatory labels:

Technical details:
4 in 2 Chain 2 in 1 Chain Enamelled Copper WD=1mm, ID=3.97mm (Dark Blue, Blue, Purple, Green, Brown) Anodized Aluminium WD=1mm, ID=3.97mm (Purple, Lavender, Sky Blue) Stainless Steel WD=1mm, ID=3.97mm, Plated Steel WD=1mm, ID=4mm (Silver)

Magemaille: same rings as 4-in-2, plus Plated Steel WD=0.8mm ID=3.18mm (Black Ice)

Onering (of course, for LOTR!) Plated Steel WD=1.2mm ID=6.35mm (Black Ice), Plated Brass WD=1.2mm ID=3.6mm (Black Ice)

P.S. Lorraine, please use the second picture for the voting thread.

GreyElk
Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 3:53 am

GreyElk http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#240339
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

On Christmas Day the Green Knight rode into the court of Camelot. He proposed a challenge to the knights assembled there. “Let’s play a game. A chop for a chop. One of you will strike me with an axe, and in a year and a day I will return the blow.”

The knights were a bloodthirsty bunch of vicious killers who reveled in acts of senseless violence, but they were not stupid. They knew this verdant maniac must have a trick or two up his sleeve, so they declined his offer. All except Sir Gawain, who was the bravest (i.e. most vicious and bloodthirsty) of the lot. Or perhaps he was just an idiot. Either way, he delighted at the notion of murdering a defenseless man. He boldly stepped forward to face the Green Knight.

Sir Gawain took the Green Knight’s axe, and the Green Knight positioned himself to accept the blow.

Displaying his great bravery and chivalry along with the majesty of Camelot, Sir Gawain casually struck the unarmed man at his feet. The Green Knight’s head tumbled from his body.

Now this ought to be the end of our story. Fortunately for you, dear readers, it is not. Even vampires and zombies find it difficult to remain active after losing their heads, and for us mere mortals decapitation is definitely the finale. The Green Knight, however, was more resilient. As Sir Gawain stood triumphant over his supposedly slain opponent, the Green Knight proved himself to be a most remarkable man. Rather than remaining still, as is the wont of most headless bodies, the Green Knight rose to his feet and casually retrieved his head.

The Green Knight placed his head upon his neck, and with a smile on his face said, “My turn.”

The Green Knight told Sir Gawain to meet him at the Green Chapel the following year to accept his blow. He then left Camelot, and Sir Gawain set forth to try to find a way out of this dilemma. He had many adventures, dallied briefly with the Green Knight’s wife, and at the end of the year returned to the Green Knight to accept his blow.

If you want to know how this story ends you can read it in the Cotton Nero A.x manuscript, one of the earliest known pieces of English literature. It is a 14th century manuscript by an unknown author often referred to as the Pearl Poet. The manuscript contains four alliterative poems, Pearl, Patience, Cleanliness, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. You can try reading it in the original Middle English, but you’ll probably have more luck with a translation. I prefer the Armitage version, and there are many fans of Tolkien’s translation. Both are available at Amazon.com, and perhaps at your public library.

When it comes time to compile the images used to vote for the winner of this contest, please use the final image of the headless Green Knight standing before a shocked Sir Gawain. (It’s the only one that meets the contest’s file size requirements.) Would it be possible to include a link to the PhotoBucket album that tells the story, or would that violate the contest rules?

Maille details
All the maille is E4-1.

The Green Knight’s armor contains 20 gauge wire with 1/8” id rings. The hauberk is floral wire (painted mild steel). The inlay fleur-de-lis is enameled copper, and the trim at the sweep and cuffs is anodized aluminum. The coif is enameled copper. I mixed three different shades of green in an attempt to create a heathered look.

Sir Gawain’s hauberk is 18 gauge galvanized steel with 3/16” id rings. His helmet is 20 gauge galvanized steel with 1/8” id rings.

The image background is pages from the Cotton Nero A.x manuscript.

The Green Knight is a Fibre-Craft Male Classic Doll. Sir Gawain is a Mattel High School Musical doll.

Yes, I play with dolls. You got a problem with that?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat May 21, 2016 6:15 am

Well, I really thought I would be able to post my submission, but it's 11:15PM for me and the polling is up already.

Edit: I see now how wonky the time stamps are on the posts, or maybe it's my settings. Oh well, good luck to everyone.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 am

Amazing work, everyone. Picking which one to vote for was tough. But I persevered.

Posted on Sat May 28, 2016 3:40 am

Congratulations on your win, Slagr!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1