Anodizing titanium
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Anodizing titanium
Posted on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,

I am trying to anodize my titanium rings. So far some succes, but i cannot get the color other people are getting.

How much difference would it make if I etch my titanium first?

I read about HF etching, but it seems the stuff is really dangerous. I live in Europe, so multi-etch is not available.

Is there any other method I can use for etching / improving my colors?

Submissions: 20

Re: Anodizing titanium
Posted on Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:43 pm

gerarddekker wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to anodize my titanium rings. So far some succes, but i cannot get the color other people are getting.

How much difference would it make if I etch my titanium first?

I read about HF etching, but it seems the stuff is really dangerous. I live in Europe, so multi-etch is not available.

Is there any other method I can use for etching / improving my colors?

Clean: Any strong alkaline cleaner will do, it should be hot (140-160 F) for 5-10 minutes.
Rinse: Distilled water.
Etch: 20-50% Acid (Nitric) -- Adding Fluoride will even the surface out. for a couple of minutes.
Anodize: TSP Solution (Experiment with mixture 'till you find one you're happy with... I make it from powder and 'rough it in')

Yes, these are a lot of steps... And yes, you can just "toss it in a jar of coca cola" and it'll change colour... But the more prep you do, the better the end result.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks! Good information. I will try it soon. Hope I can find those chemicals for a good price Smile

Posted on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 am

I tried getting Nitric Acid, but unfortunalety since 2014 Nitric acid cannot be sold anymore to induvidual people (by law) in my country...

But fortunately I found a website selling titanium etch called super-etch, which they claim is the same as multi-etch. And it's available in my country, so I will try that one.
for those who are interested:
http://www.biketweaks.com/titanium-etching-multi-etch-europe

I will order some and post here if the stuff works.

Submissions: 243

Posted on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 am

If my understanding of the chemistry is correct the concept is to replace an acid etch with a hot salt etch. So instead of hydrofluoric acid(HF) you can use the much safer alternative of sodium fluoride(NaF) plus ammonium persulfate(AFS) as an oxidizer.

Naf is available in cavity prevention products and AFS in hair bleach, both should be available in pharmacies the world over.

It's also possible that hydrogen peroxide(H2O2) could be used as the oxidizer and potassium fluoride(KF) as the etchant in a much stronger version for industrial purposes, not as dangerous as HF but still not something you'd want to risk trying at home. Those may be controlled substances in some parts of the world, they're certainly hazardous.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1