Inventory for a small sales stand
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Inventory for a small sales stand
Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking the forums of various sites looking for a little information, and not really finding what I was looking for, decided to just ask.

I'm looking to set up a small booth at my local.... guess you could say "Farmers Market" but that's not quite the right term either...anyway....
was trying to figure out a good Number of items to keep as an inventory.

I don't want to make FAR too many so that I don't sell enough to cover expenses and I definitely don't want to UNDER produce where I'd run out of nearly everything.

So my question is this: What do you feel is a good quantity of items to stock at a booth?

I'm planning to produce Bracelets, Necklace, Fidget toys, and maybe a few chain finger rings. Is there anything else you have found that sells well for just starting out?

Thanks for the help

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello and welcome!

It's really hard to answer that question, since so much depends on the venue. If you are going to do this multiple times you will learn as you go, but for a one-off you need to make the most of what you already know about the market.

For instance; is it a cheap-and-cheerful flea market type of thing? I would bring mostly colourful low cost items like stretchy bangles and pendants on cords.

If it's an artisanal market where prices are higher I would bring a wider range of pieces that are more intricate and expensive, and more copper and brass than colored aluminum.

It's always good to have one great piece that you don't expect to sell but that draws people in - a big necklace or headpiece, or something with lots of scales.

I like a display with lots of pieces - lots more than I expect to sell in one day. If you go that way, you aren't going to recover all your startup cost in one go. So think about how to do an eye catching display with just a few pieces if that's your goal.

Good luck!

Submissions: 17

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:53 pm

In addition, I say, make as Much as possible, as long as you believe you Will sell it within a reasonable time frame. The effort in Making a piece is a one time investment.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 pm

I'd use math to solve this for me.

(Cost of Booth x 1.2) + (Cost of Materials x 1.2) + (Time to Make Things x 15) = Y

I would adjust the amount I spent on Materials, and thus the time it would take me to make things, until Y became a smaller number than what I thought I would make back...

Unless you're planning on building stock, in which case, the question itself is really moot... Just make a bunch of relatively inexpensive things that sell like bananas but are easy to make... Stretchy Half Persian bracelets, Any Earrings, Unit Weaves that look good as Pendants on Curb Chain, etc...

Posted on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:44 am

Is it a one and done annual type event or every weekend for the season?
What's the average turnout?

What price points are you trying to hit?
I find 30-50% of my sales are about what people spend on a meal out.
Drive through hamburgers, or surf and turf.

And adjust the focus of my display acordigly.
Chainmail doesn't go bad, so what doesn't sell now will sell online eventually.

A more involved eye catching piece rarely will sell but does a lot to draw attention to the booth.

Posted on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:30 am

losthelm wrote:
Is it a one and done annual type event or every weekend for the season?
What's the average turnout?

What price points are you trying to hit?
I find 30-50% of my sales are about what people spend on a meal out.
Drive through hamburgers, or surf and turf.

And adjust the focus of my display acordigly.
Chainmail doesn't go bad, so what doesn't sell now will sell online eventually.

A more involved eye catching piece rarely will sell but does a lot to draw attention to the booth.

It's a weekly event for the season 6-9pm.
150 Stalls or so. Average turnout is difficult to count, it takes place on a 5 block stretch of road that gets shut down for the event, and people wander around and come and go as they please.

a mini-booth(6x3) is $50 or a 12x12 booth is $60(covers the cost for police and street cleaning after), so I'd at least like to make some profit on top.

I just wanted to see if users had a general number, say like "I started out stocking around Xnumber bracelets, Ynumber of Necklace and had to adjust the number"

All the posts from everyone have been helpful.
Thank you everyone for taking some time to respond

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1