3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 33

Submissions: 26

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Slagr wrote:
kerravonsen wrote:
reform wrote:
There are some contests where I never expect a single vote, so when I get one I'm like Coif Cool Smiley

Yep. My goal in these contests (when I manage to enter!) is to get one vote. Just think - that is one person who thought I should win! That's the way I decided to look at it, anyway. Actually winning... it isn't impossible, but it's highly unlikely. If I deluded myself into thinking I could win, I would be in for a lot of frustration and heartbreak. Stupid thing to do to myself.

As it is, I enjoy these competitions for the challenge of doing something I might otherwise not have done, in a timely fashion, with a bunch of other people.

I don't understand this attitude at all. Whenever I make something new I do everything I can to make sure it's the best thing I've made yet. I've been fortunate enough in the contests I've entered that what I considered to be good work has been similarly recognized by the community. Regardless of the community's opinions, however, I would't enter something I did not think could win unless I made multiple entries. I know I'm probably alone in this, but I see these contests as not only an idea to build a piece I might not have otherwise considered, but also as a chance to really flex my own abilities with maille and expand the art form in the process. That being said, not every entry needs to push the boundaries of the craft to be "worthy" of winning, but I feel like giving anything less than your best effort is regrettable. I'm not trying to call anyone or any specific entries out or anthing, but when you talk about your chances of winning being "highly unlikely" and how you'd have to "delude yourself into thinking you could win" it leads me to believe that you are the only one holding yourself back from building something great.

Is it possible that your reading too much into this? It is clear that you have an upward arch planned for your craft. That's fine. There are many ways to get joy from maille however. For some the mere taking part is more than enough.

You like to paddle fast and hard when your on the water. Others just enjoy the motion of the ocean. As long as every ones having fun and has a personal emotional support structure to deal with inevitable failure, does it really matter? Anyway if you expect failure, victory (if it comes) comes as a wonderful surprise.

One mans defeatism is another mans humility. Smile

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I can understand those points, but I still think that if you're entering something you don't think can win then you recognize that your piece could be improved. I don't mean taking down a submission and adding on to it, but looking at the piece before submitting it and judging whether or not someone else could make something better with a similar ring count and variety.

And for the record, reform, I always try to limit my ring variety. My entry for #27 used only two ring sizes and this entry used only three+scales (although I could have used 16g on the scale section to reduce that number to 2+scales).

TCG, my entry in this contest was also structurally complex but not pretty until about three days before the contest ended when I came up with and quickly built the beard and horns. Maybe I'll post an older incarnation of it sometime, rubber horns and all. Aesthetics just take some playing around before they fall into place. Your piece has a great base structure.

EDIT: Clym, you don't have to believe in yourself but you do have to believe in the me that believes in you.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 pm

yeah reform, i only basically used BA wire and a metric ton of saw blades. Smile

Submissions: 24

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 pm

Slagr wrote:
TCG, my entry in this contest was also structurally complex but not pretty until about three days before the contest ended when I came up with and quickly built the beard and horns. Maybe I'll post an older incarnation of it sometime, rubber horns and all. Aesthetics just take some playing around before they fall into place. Your piece has a great base structure.

My comment was mostly on my past submissions, not exclusive to this one. Then again, I tend to suggest odd themes.

*high fives djgm for not being the only one that still hand cuts rings.* Cutting those 3000+ rings for my entry this one took... a lot of time.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:50 am

I just want to say that these theme contests are meant to be fun and encourage people to make maille they enjoy making. I realize "contest" means "must win" to some people. And that's fine. If you don't want to enter because you don't think your entry will win... well then no one can force you to enter. But I think you are missing the whole point of the contests! I encourage anyone and everyone to make some maille they think fits the theme and submit it to the theme contests. Seriously, it's not serious... It's just fun! Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 2

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 am

lorraine wrote:
Seriously, it's not serious... It's just fun! Very Happy

And that's why I don't care about winning. I am making mail and having fun. That's all I need.

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:40 am

lorraine wrote:
I just want to say that these theme contests are meant to be fun and encourage people to make maille they enjoy making. I realize "contest" means "must win" to some people. And that's fine. If you don't want to enter because you don't think your entry will win... well then no one can force you to enter. But I think you are missing the whole point of the contests! I encourage anyone and everyone to make some maille they think fits the theme and submit it to the theme contests. Seriously, it's not serious... It's just fun! Very Happy

yeah... but winning is fun too.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 am

I never win Sad this ismt fun any moor.

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am

djgm wrote:
I never win Sad this ismt fun any moor.

You're a winner in my book.

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:46 am

This isn't going to turn on a big Greek symposium is it? Very Happy
Right then! Top posting it is!

Quote:
I can understand those points, but I still think that if you're entering something you don't think can win then you recognize that your piece could be improved. I don't mean taking down a submission and adding on to it, but looking at the piece before submitting it and judging whether or not someone else could make something better with a similar ring count and variety.

Your in danger of treating each individual piece as a conclusion not another step on the path. I've torn apart perfectly fine examples of my work before. Which few people here could replicate. Not because they were in any way inferior but simply because they didn't sell. (In many ways the ultimate competition). This illustrates my main point. What you think of your work doesn't really and should not matter. It's not about the piece it's about the journey. It's and yours.

Quote:

Which is fine and don't get me wrong I can see what your doing and it has merit. That said personally I don't care if someone finishes a piece, throws it against a wall and screams insults at it until they're blue in the face.

More, however it is executed is better than never starting in the first place. I don't need people to have a good attitude! I need people to make things!
Maybe that's the old punk in me talking.

Quote:

EDIT: Clym, you don't have to believe in yourself but you do have to believe in the me that believes in you.

That old Jedi mind trick. Belief for me has nothing to do with it. It is a thing undone until I forced my will upon it. For me there is a simplicity there. Competition is such an ugly word, in relation to craftsmen of our calibre. Humans are prone to comparative thought, it's like a free glass of whisky to an alcoholic, you've got to really fight to be free from it.

And success? Well, that's the reward. The candy coat the warm fuzzies that dispels all doubt just after you've downed the glass.

It is ok to dislike something you've made. That is not failure. It's just another step. I feel our mental operating systems are fundamentally incompatible but at the same time completely functional. I can live with that.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:31 pm

You know, I get everybody's perspective. You're all correct, for yourselves. As long as each participant gives and gets what they set out to, then we're all winners.

Even when I don't enter, I love to see what others do, y'all inspire me.

I had soooooo wanted to make a piece for this "contest", but financial and time constraints got the better of me. I had planned to make a madd-(vyking Wink )-hatter style top hat, to go along with the goggles I made last time around. I'll still get to the project, some time. Right now, I'm working on a few hat bands, to go on some hats made by a friend that happens to be a hat maker hobby-est, but haven't actually finished one yet, and I'm not sure they would have met the rule of 2/3 maille, and without the hat they're just kind of oddball looking headbands, anyway. Wink

Full disclosure: I must say, though I do it for the enjoyment--that's why I'm working on mailling as a third "career"-- for me at least, part of the enjoyment is in pushing my limits, and what can I say, I'm a little competitive, so, yeah, winning is nice. But playing the game is sometimes enough in itself. Very Happy

Congratulations to all these entries, there are some things going on here that really went in directions I'd never have thought of. Awesome work, folks!

Posted on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am

Hat bands? I have one of those to finish off too! It's going to look lovely on my bowler when it's done!

I've found myself getting more into fine square cross section recently. Fiddly work and you go through needle nose at the devils own pace but it does create a nice close weave. I'd love to see your band when they're done.

C

Posted on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 am

The first should be done in a week or two-ish(?) (the hat maker intends to sew it to the hat, so I'll be done in a few days but not sure when he'll have it done... but I will be sure to share!

Posted on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:41 am

I must say I expected a more even spread of votes rather than such a close duel.

Posted on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 am

Shhhhh... can't talk about the vote til the polls close! Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2