Blades blades blades
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Blades blades blades
Posted on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

forgive me if this has been discussed earlier, i haven't been able to find a thread addressing specific blade suppliers.

who do you like to use??

it seems TRL's have taken a jump recently and their prices are in USD meaning a 30% increase for me being a canuck lol

oh...i should mention i'm talking jeweler's blades, circular, 0.008" with a 3/8" hole. i have TRL's arbor.

i've been googling a bit but the rotary blades seem less common, also, i require that 3/8" hole making them more rare.

any tip would be helpful!
-MW

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am

So you are talking slitting/slotting saw blades right? I have recently been very disappointed with TRL's blades. They do not last as long because they are not very sharp. I have always had very good experience with the quality of Thurston's blades, except for one thing... they have refused to sell me blades of specific dimensions, saying they are "proprietary". Personally, I throw down the BS flag on that. Sad

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:07 am

Also, price seems to be proportionate to quality. Cheap blades are cheap and do not last long.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:40 am

Forgot to mention Malco. http://www.malcosaw.com/

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:52 pm

You might have luck buying from thurston by changing dementions.
Increase blade diameter from 1" to 1.25" or other small change may be enough. It changes the optimal RPM a lot but with a shop made setup you should be able to adjust for speed and depth of cut.
I have used onlineindustry supply in the past.
Blades where from Eastern Europe and proformed about as well as TRL's blades.
.012 isn't much thicker than the .008 and doesn't make much difference for most rings.

Posted on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 pm

For blades buy them from here: http://www.ringinator.com/collections/blades

Custom made just for cutting chainmail rings.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 am

Martin wrote:
For blades buy them from here: http://www.ringinator.com/collections/blades

Custom made just for cutting chainmail rings.

Let's be honest here Martin, you really mean,
"Custom made" just for cutting rings on the machine you sell. Not just for cutting chainmail rings in general. Why should people only be able to buy a saw blade from ONE vendor? That is ridiculous.

I have two ring cutting set-ups made by my husband and me, and an old Jump Ringer made by Ray Grossman. I have no experience with your machine.

A slitting/slotting saw blade of any particular ID, OD, blades/sq. inch should not be "proprietary" when a separate company is in the business of selling slitting/slotting saw blades of "all sizes" to people who don't give a rat's behind about the story of who made them "proprietary".

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Cutting hundreds of pounds of materials over the years, going through trial and error and finding the correct tooth angles, pitch, and tooth count out of all the "standard" blades available, then putting all that information into a single product and having it manufactured to spec; yes, that makes it a proprietary design.

Submissions: 27

Posted on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:26 am

McMaster always has a wide selection.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:53 am

Martin wrote:
Cutting hundreds of pounds of materials over the years, going through trial and error and finding the correct tooth angles, pitch, and tooth count out of all the "standard" blades available, then putting all that information into a single product and having it manufactured to spec; yes, that makes it a proprietary design.

That's like saying finding the exact right ring sizes for a graduated weave are "proprietary" and if anyone wants to buy those exact rings, a ring seller should refuse to do so. I still throw down the BS flag. I may have a completely different set-up from yours, and you think saw blade sellers should refuse to sell me the blade I need because you make and sell your own set-up with a specific slitting/slotting saw blade? Again... B*** S***!

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:28 pm

*Best Austin Powers Voice*
Yay Capitalism.

Posted on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:28 pm

lorraine wrote:

That's like saying finding the exact right ring sizes for a graduated weave are "proprietary" and if anyone wants to buy those exact rings, a ring seller should refuse to do so. I still throw down the BS flag. I may have a completely different set-up from yours, and you think saw blade sellers should refuse to sell me the blade I need because you make and sell your own set-up with a specific slitting/slotting saw blade? Again... B*** S***!

No, that's more like Alice finding the perfect recipe of rings to use in a kit, then hiring Bob under contract to make all those rings for her kits.
When Charlie goes to Bob and says "Hey, I want that kit too, make it for me." Bob can say no to Charlie because he only makes those rings for Alice.

Posted on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:27 am

Martin wrote:
lorraine wrote:

No, that's more like Alice finding the perfect recipe of rings to use in a kit, then hiring Bob under contract to make all those rings for her kits.
When Charlie goes to Bob and says "Hey, I want that kit too, make it for me." Bob can say no to Charlie because he only makes those rings for Alice.

That's ridiculous Martin. When I go to a website and try to buy a blade that works for my set-up, I should be able to buy it. The fact that you use it for your machine is absolutely irrelevant. I spent time and money figuring out my set-up too, and it had nothing to do with you. Why do you or anyone else get to corner the market on a specific blade? YOU DON'T! No one should be caught up in the "I use that blade so you can't" net. Again... B*** S***.

If I make a kit with specific rings sizes (whether I contract with "Bob" or not is irrelevant), then I can sell them if a customer wants to make my design. I don't get to stop them from purchasing those specific rings sizes if they figure them out for themselves, or if they decide on different ring sizes.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:56 pm

Guys Guys GUYS!

(and I use that term loosely as one of you is a girl). Martin whilst the link is of course useful, you have to admit that it's possible you have a vested interest in the site. This does (unfortunately) call your objectivity slightly into question. As a side note you sell metal. I'm pretty sure I can get yours or any blade working in any old machine I wish. I hack things. It's what I do. If someone doesn't want to sell me a blade because I haven't bought "the rest of the kit" Fine, I'll buy from someone else and hack their blade to work with my kit.

Now a good salesman has the right to talk on about "how the lack of the complete tool will lessen the craft" and how someone "is uncaring and shoddy if they don't buy the complete package" you know the whole guilt lead overspend deal. But this horse don't drink from those waters. If there's money on the table and your in business; the smart man picks it up. Even if it isn't quite as much as you'd like.

Lorraine, I see your point and don't take this the wrong way but you've got blood all over your DM's administering this enthusiastic curb stomping. The kids are starting to cry now.... Just sayin.

Posted on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:16 am

ClymAngus wrote:
Lorraine, I see your point and don't take this the wrong way but you've got blood all over your DM's administering this enthusiastic curb stomping. The kids are starting to cry now.... Just sayin.

I'm not taking this the wrong way... but I have to admit, I don't understand it. Very Happy

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next