Argon Shielding Titanium Welds
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

Argon Shielding Titanium Welds
Posted on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Looking specifically for K the Red here, but felt some others might have some creative input as well.

So here I am sitting on 12 pounds of 3/16 ID spring grade titanium rings. All of them bothersomely sawcut. I've played around with my resistance welder and found a setting makes a really pretty weld. Now the hard part...

I need to build a jig that floods the welding area with argon. I know how this is done when welding large plates of titanium. However, the nature of mail makes for special problems. For example, if it simply shooting constantly from a couple hoses... argon is wasted between welds. If it's all done in a sealed box, ring manipulation becomes painful.

Right now I'm thinking of hooking up two small rosebuds to argon sources and hitting the link from two angles, turning argon on somehow with a foot pedal.

Ideas?

You can't expect to weild supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Submissions: 389

Posted on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 pm

this article should help:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=636

let me know if you have any questions. i don't know why this article has not been properly categorized with the other welding articles.

Posted on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm

That's perfect, and pretty much what I was thinking. I'll be building something like that very soon.

A couple of questions for you. How much welding were you able to get out of a tank of Argon? I'm also curious on approximate ring size you were using.

I'm actually using a jewelry pulse-arc, and have been thinking of getting one of those TRL resistance welders. I had misspoke on my welder type.

Great tutorial.

You can't expect to weild supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Submissions: 389

Posted on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:38 pm

chaine_maile wrote:
That's perfect, and pretty much what I was thinking. I'll be building something like that very soon.

A couple of questions for you. How much welding were you able to get out of a tank of Argon? I'm also curious on approximate ring size you were using.

I'm actually using a jewelry pulse-arc, and have been thinking of getting one of those TRL resistance welders. I had misspoke on my welder type.

Great tutorial.

how much welding you get depends on a lot of factors - tank size, how much argon goes through the regulator, etc. i use a 125 cf tank. i usually weld about 3 days per month. my tank usually lasts 1 year before refill. a very important tip is to not have the regulator up to high (meaning - don't have the argon coming out too fast). you want a nice slow flow to create a cloud that the ring sits in. so, my process goes like this: step on the gas (do not release), align the ring in the welder (small adjustments to make sure the ends are lined up), step on the power (another footpetal for the welder), keep slight pressure as glow fades, release the gas. that way the gas has time to create a cloud. if you step on the gas and the power too close to each other, you won't get a good cloud.

with my resistance welder i can weld 18swg - 8swg. any ids. i don't have any experience with the pulse arc welders.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 am

I'm learning stuff from just this thread.

Since argon is somewhat abundant in the atmosphere and isn't consumed by, well, anything, it is not terribly expensive. It's heavier than air, so it may be used in an open-topped airtight box to weld in if you wish to exclude air a lot and somewhat conserve your argon supply.

Of no relevance to welding is the bad example of fantasy and fanzine writing, The Eye Of Argon -- take one look and you'll know. It is or was a traditional entertainment at science fiction conventions to pass a copy of it round a room and attempt to read a page of it aloud with a straight face. In the words of Wilde, it takes a heart of stone to not burst out laughing.

Its author James Theis was, ah, young when he did it and was perhaps in possession of a Thesaurus but not a dictionary. He is dead now. No, he was not strangled by Harlan Ellison. He wasn't even punched out by Sean Penn.

An Amazon review wrote:
This is not a hoax . . . for more than thirty years it has been the subject of midnight readings at conventions, as thousands have come to appreciate the negative genius of this amazing Ed Wood of prose.

Quote:
"a malaprop genius, a McGonagall of prose with an eerie gift for choosing the wrong word and then misapplying it."

From Wikipedia. I was forgetting the "lithe, opaque nose" ... ! Coif LoL

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:01 pm

"Although many strive for fame, infamy has always been much more accepting. All one really needs to do, is to go too far and keep on going."

Posted on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Precisely. Less a succès de scandale than a succès d'embarras.

William Topaz McGonagall -- maybe having, by whatever circumstance, "Topaz" as a middle name was his nemesis and hoodoo.

Jottings Of New York. Of, mind you -- not, say, from. It sags downhill from there, a not very good travelogue in rhymed verse. I hadn't known old Will Topaz was one of those rockbound Scottish Presbyterians that spent their Sundays sunup to sundown not having fun, and disapproving of those who would.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:37 pm

You may try simply using an enclosure of some type.

They are used a lot when tig welding, or dealing with bio/chemical/nuclear things you really don't want to be exposed to, or things that would otherwise be contaminated by you or the atmosphere.
in chemistry they are called "glove box" welding usually calls them enclosures.

Because of what your dealing with you should be able to make one with plexy glass or poly carb, a tube of caulk and some large rubber/plastic gloves with a longer cuff.

Posted on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:30 am

Yes, I had considered a glove box. Main problem is I'm working on a shirt and doing a complex weave. Ring manipulation in a restrictive space will eventually be a pain in the arse.

I was talking to a master welder about fine titanium welds, and he seemed to think I meant thin sheets. What he says they do is build a small open top box (think altoids tin or tuna can). They attach this to a "flexible" arm attached to the Tig welder handle. The box is then pressed to the bottom of the sheet, and a trickle of Argon supplies it from a secondary hose. Top is flooded from the standard Tig line.

I've pictured trying a small box like that for the bottom feed... But I think two simple hoses like Mithril's setup will be simpler. I use my pulse-arc welder such that the Tungsten electrode is stationary in a vise anyway.

Posted on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:56 am

Maybe a gas solenoid valve a switch to open for a few seconds before and after welding.
If your building he circut a short delay between the solonoid valve and the welding arc on the same button.

Posted on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 pm

It will be like either a tiny tack-weld, or if you can successfully overlap and flatten this wire, like a spot weld.

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 am

The mechanism is a bit different from resistance welds but the end result is very close.

If you adjust the spark cone correctly and have slight tension in the closure, it forms perfect welds. Too much tension throws a small ring of flash outside of the weld, which makes it less pretty. Too little tension on the closure or a slight gap can cause a thin bridge as metal flows to fill the gap, or it will round both edges making a "C".

I don't have a picture of a titanium ring handy, but you can scale up these Argentium ones. The visual results are the same even in larger gauge wire. It just requires different settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4hf12bl0fs0wks/2014-06-19%2010.35.40.jpg?dl=0

Submissions: 244

Posted on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

Lots of good advice in this thread, I have a couple more things to add.

Solenoid valves work great. Mine have cut gas usage by 90%. Since we do a lot of welding the cost really adds up.

I like to make a small glass clamshell that the argon gets pumped into. Use silicone to hold the glass together, electrodes protrude in from the back with an argon hose between them. Rings come in through the slot in the front easily enough but the argon stays pooled inside. Usually the welds won't even discolor with this setup.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:55 am

I also use a solenoid and an enclosure of sorts.

weldedchainmail.com

Posted on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Knuut knows whereof he speaks. It is his living.

He has a story about his worst production oopsie -- involving Ti wire iirc, 5/16" ID... and an untimely phone call. I gather his coiling station looked like it was a reenactment of The Laocöon Group...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next