Ringinator Issue
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Ringinator Issue
Posted on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello,

I have an issue with my Ringinator, and was wondering if anyone can help me out here. I've had it for a year now, and had only used it to cut bronze and aluminum. Well, last week I needed like 20ish 18g stainless rings, so I figured why not try cutting it myself instead of making another ring order. I was able to cut about 30 or so stainless rings w/o an issue until near the end where they started to snag. I figured that was a good stop since I got what I needed. My issue now is, I am having a snagging/kickback issue with both my bronze and aluminum coils now. I can no longer cut 2-3 bronze rings without snagging when before they used to cut very smoothly. My aluminum coils are also having the same issue, but I can at least still get them cut. Along with the snagging issue, the table the coils rest on is now shaking a lot more. I have tried re-assembling the machine, made sure everything is tightened, made sure the blade was fresh and aligned, but I cannot seem to get back to the pre-stainless phase of its life. I am at a loss on what to do.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I don't have a Ringinator but I'd check over the following items.

1. Ensure the power converter is properly centred to the chuck.
2. Check that the power converter isn't twisted or distorted.
3. Use the drill to drill a few holes in something to make sure it's working properly.
4. Check all the bolts on the frame and make sure none of them have come loose.

The problem screams alignment issue, power loss or both. Did you reduce the RPM when cutting the SS? Did you bring it back up afterwards?

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:55 am

The drill is not the issue. I tested it and swapped them

As for power, it seems to be running the same as I test it.

Yes, I reduced the RPM for the stainless, and yes I brought it back up for the respectable speed for the bronze and aluminum.

All of the bolts have been checked at least three times. The only thing I cannot check/change would be the arbor/shaft for an alignment check. If it is the alignment, I have no idea how to remedy the issue since the Ringinator maker does not sell the parts individually.

I am glad I can still at least cut the aluminum, but it's really killing me on the bronze.

Posted on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:32 am

Quote:
the Ringinator maker does not sell the parts individually.

Sure I do. But it's via email only. Send me a message. Very Happy
I can send you either the bronze bearing sleeve and you can swap them out, or the whole aluminum block with the bearing already installed.

I had too many issues where people would be buying one part at a time trying to jury-rig their own cheap tool, and end up angry and frustrated with me when their contraption didn't work. Rolling Eyes

Couple things come to mind; the blade you are using is chipped. If a tooth is missing, you can feel it snag and thunk as you're cutting. It would feel like you are describing. But you said you tried a fresh blade, so...

Is the blade still aligned straight with the V groove? If it's at a slight angle it might explain it.

The 188 tooth blades work best for 20ga stainless.

Lastly, it might just be your feeding technique. Are you rotating or twisting the coils as you are feeding them in? You need to be careful and not do that.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 am

Haha, did not expect to see that message ^. I actually did send you a message off your website a few fours ago, and I turned to here as additional help in case you could not get back to me in time.

You are correct, the blade(s) I tried after my stainless attempt were fresh. I used two to rule out an off chance of a faulty blade. The blade is set aligned with the groove, and from what I see when I run it w/o cutting it stays in place.

As for my feeding technique, I make sure the coils are perfectly wound, straight on the feed table, and not force fed. I literally have had no issues up until I decided to try out a new metal to cut. I just don't know what all of a sudden happened. I never heard any snaps, clicks, or had anything fly off. Just the stainless coil snagged and I called it a day to then have issues after.

Posted on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:04 am

Huh, weird. Confused

A new bearing might fix it. I saw your message but I can't find your email/name in my customer list; and so can't look you up. Send me another email with your last order number and snail mail info, and I'll send you a new bearing to try out.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Hopefully that works! I have sent you an email via info@ringinator with the topic, "M.A.I.L Ringinator Topic." Just let me know if you need any more information. Thank you for all your help!

P.S.
I slept on it and noticed my drill was a little higher than the attachment so I lowered it. It helped a little bit, but the issue was still present after a few rings were cut. It was a little less on the snagging, but still tried to kickback the coil quite a bit. Hopefully that information helps a little bit.

Submissions: 389

Posted on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:08 pm

i've run into this issue many times when the blade starts fading off center. while cutting and you encounter this, turn off the machine and look down the coil to see where the blade is. if it's way off to one side, this can cause the kick back, shaking, and over heating. to correct, you can take the coil out and start again from center, or slightly twist the coil back into position while cutting. the later is hard to do and takes time to perfect, but it is the quickest. i hope this helps.

Posted on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 pm

I went ahead and tried to cut another coil while taking your advice. I saw that my bade never got off center while cutting even when it started to snag/slow down a bit. However, when I looked through the coil to check the blade, I noticed that it appeared to be bouncing up and down by about a millimeter. I could not tell if it was the bade itself, or the fact my table was shaking. Either way I am assuming that slight bounce may play a factor. I almost want to take off the flexible coupler to see if that got bent, and attach my drill to the arbor just to see. Though I do not want to make matters worse with my luck. That and the fact Martin said he would send me a part to try out.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:50 pm

I'd take Martin's suggestion/offer to change the bearing. If one roller in the bearing has failed it will cause that type of minimal but problem causing, shaft wobble. Bearings fail all the time and thankfully in this case it can be replaced fairly easily.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 389

Posted on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:17 pm

yeah, sounds like a different issue. i agree with levi.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1