Jens Pind: I can't get it! Help please?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Jens Pind: I can't get it! Help please?
Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

There is a project I want to make that has many weaves included, one of which is Jens Pind. I've tried to learn it from one book, every tutorial here, several random tutorials I found online, and a few YouTube videos. I'm reasonably new to chainmaille, but I can usually pick up a weave on the first or second try. But, to save my life, I can't get this one!

The rings I was trying to use came from Blue Buddha Boutique, jewelry brass 3/16" and 16SWG (pretty sure they use SWG). The package lists the AR at 3.2 which I've seen is at the very top of the scale for this weave. I also have same size aluminum rings from the same company: BA which lists the AR at 3.0 and AA which shows an AR of 3.1. One video tutorial thought it would be helpful to use rings in three colors, so I mixed my rings to try it.

Even though I am at the top of the AR recommended range, this weave becomes impossibly tight after about 15 rings. When I look at my work, I see that the rings have slipped out of order even though I was very diligent and careful to put them exactly where they were supposed to be. No matter what I do, they move, and I don't know how to stop that.

I'm also not sure I'm doing it right after I get past the starter. This Is where the tutorials stop. I keep turning the chain in the same direction approx. 1/3 turn, inserting the new ring into the last two rings, keeping the direction of slant The same And tucking the ring above or below the ring I need to watch according to which direction I'm making the spiral In (I've tried both). Inevitably It becomes too tight to continue, and I look back to find that my carefully placed rings have moved. Instead of staying in the pattern some are above the previous ring an the line when I placed them below, or vice versa.

This isn't rocket science! I must somehow be misunderstanding what I need to do, or I'm holding the chain wrong while I work, or ??? I'm frustrated beyond belief. Can someone offer some advice? Maybe there's a better tutorial I need to study?

Thanks In advanceā€¦

Shadokat
Please forgive blatant newbie ignorance; I hope to grow out of it soon.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:02 pm

This article may be of interest:
Jens Pind Linkage 3 and Variants - Definitions; Differences and Distinguishing Characteristics

If it is getting too tight to weave, you are likely running into one of two things:
1. The rings aren't what you expect they are. This can range from misreading gauge systems or receiving a mislabeled package. Since you have listed that they were advertised at an AR, this is likely not an issue.
2. You are making a Jens Pind Linkage variant. It normally takes me about 7 rings in before I can continue the pattern without having to spend about 2 minutes per ring making sure I put the ring in correctly.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Thanks
Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks so much! I'll read the article you suggested. None of the tutorials I've used said they were a variant of the weave. I know it's easy to dismiss a beginner as having made some common beginner mistakes, but that's what I'm trying to rule out. I think I did my homework researching what I needed. Maybe if I post a picture of my weave someone can tell me what I'm messing up. 😖😄

Shadokat

Submissions: 5

Posted on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:37 am

This thread may provide some insight. JPL is a tricky one, don't give up you'll get it.

This article by lorraine is a great comparison of JPL3 at various ARs, I agree with her, 2.8 is the "sweet spot" for JPL3 anything bigger and it's too sloppy. Seeing the weave done correctly at various ARs helps etch the pattern in you mind.

While 3.2 is the upper limit, I would stay at or below 2.9 when learning. From experience, rings jumble out of place very easily with an AR above 3.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 106

Re: Thanks
Posted on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:57 am

shadokat wrote:
Thanks so much! I'll read the article you suggested. None of the tutorials I've used said they were a variant of the weave. I know it's easy to dismiss a beginner as having made some common beginner mistakes, but that's what I'm trying to rule out. I think I did my homework researching what I needed. Maybe if I post a picture of my weave someone can tell me what I'm messing up. 😖😄

Posting a picture always helps! Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 10

Posted on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:35 pm

I will second Levi's recommendation to learn on rings with an AR below 2.9. JPL took me a long, long time to figure out, and if I had 3.2 AR rings, it would have taken even longer. Also, tape, Play-Doh, clay... anything you can use to hold the rings in their specific locations until they are locked (which occurs at ring 5, IIRC), will be helpful.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Thank you!
Posted on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:34 pm

You guys are so helpful! The first article suggested above was a big help. I started to make a chain but only had a few minutes. I still don't think I have it. How do I post a picture?

Shadokat

Submissions: 5

Re: Thank you!
Posted on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 am

shadokat wrote:
How do I post a picture?

You need to have the image hosted out on the internet somewhere then use the [img] [/img] tags around the link to have the image show here.

There are a bunch of image hosting sites out there. I can't really recommend one as I don't use any of them but I'm sure others can make a suggestion to that front.

Once your picture is hosted on the internet and you have a link to it, create a post that includes the link, it should look something like this when you're typing it out.

FYI: Ignore the "Code:" statement or presence, it's the only way to stop the [img] tag from trying to load a picture from the address I use in the example.

Code:

This is my picture.

[img]http://www.imagehost.com/something/my_picture.jpg[/img]

To quote lorraine from the contest submission rules, which gives an outline.
"3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry must be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite and placing the picture in your post with the Img link. Please don't make us hunt for your entry because it is posted on another site. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100KB and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side. "

If you have any questions ask away.

Mostly Harmless

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1