Searching by bolting type
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

ElementalDragon wrote:
lorraine wrote:

A bolted weave is one where the rings holding the iterations together are not structural. If you take them out, you are left with some units or pieces of a design that are stable.

This is about how I would define bolting. But if you still want to insist on Byzantine being a bolted weave, then I must insist on pretty much all Japanese weaves being removed for bolting, as well.

There are at least a few sheet weaves that are just units bolted together. There's even a couple in the first 50 sheets that I would call chains bolted together. In my opinion, that does need to be as much a defined modification as kinged, and should not be in the weaves database. I have my opinions on how Byzantine should be tagged, but it's not bolted.

One could argue (playing devils advocate here) that Byzantine is a unit (it's not, imho) held together by bolts...
One could not argue that the two rings in J 12-2 are a unit, though those individual rings are held together in a vertical-horizontal-vertical system, in that case the "bolts" in question ARE the weave.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm one of those people who is willing to perceive Byzantine as a unit. Not really insistent on it because I'm not sure in my own mind exactly where the definition point would be.

To me, J12-2 is not a weave, despite being included in the weave library. Kinging a weave does not make a new weave. And I wish we had a better way to display examples of modifications than in the main weave library.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:02 pm

ElementalDragon wrote:
To me, J12-2 is not a weave, despite being included in the weave library. Kinging a weave does not make a new weave. And I wish we had a better way to display examples of modifications than in the main weave library.

Under modern guidelines, it's not. You're quite correct.
However, for history and posterity, some kinged weaves exists in the DB... But that's another story.

As far as "a better way", you could always post in the feature request thread Smile
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=15022

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
ElementalDragon wrote:

Under modern guidelines, it's not. You're quite correct.
However, for history and posterity, some kinged weaves exists in the DB... But that's another story.

As far as "a better way", you could always post in the feature request thread Smile
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=15022

To heck with modern guidelines, it's my guidelines I'm going by Smile. And yes, I am well aware of the "history and posterity" reasoning. I don't agree with it, but I'm willing to deal with it while I deliberate on a "better way". Keeping in mind that said better way would be better from my perspective, but not necessarily anyone else's Smile. My biggest problem I think is my better ideas conflict a bit with the copyright implementation.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2