State of the Board of Directors, Forum Rules, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business
   
Author Message

Joined: March 29, 2005
Posts: 500
Submissions: 26
Location: Plumstead, London

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Cinnibar wrote:

If the site ever reaches the point where censorship is preferable to posting information, IE: you can post about something during the submission process, I suggest we take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

But seriously... posting information for peer review is absolutely the type of thing I'd expect to encourage. It is not a slight on a weaves admin. If anything, it is additional resource for them to so their jobs.

Additionally, I'm unsure about the policy whereby existing submissions/discussions are done behind an admin curtain. For maximum dissemination of information, shouldn't that information be public? Right now, people sit in the dark with no knowledge of process, timing, or activity... stuff wither appears in the gallery or weave sections with no warning.

Partly I want to eliminate any perception by the public member that the admins are doing some sort of judgemental process that includes personal evaluations. It is, as far as I know, fair and unbalanced evals based on the weave itself. Several others have mentioned a perception of elitism which I find unnecessary... I've interacted with enough of the admin crew to know it isn't the case.


Fair enough, my main point was I've seen a couple of members try and out manoeuvre or force the evaluation process by posting on the forums. Understandably it does not end well. People are always going to butt against a perceived authority even if that authority is still in their jimjams and relaxing in a pee-couch with a Cuban.

Generally it's more difficult to piss off a heaving mass of peers than one hapless individual.

Joined: August 14, 2006
Posts: 1890
Submissions: 50
Location: McPherson, Kansas

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Human nature seems to be such that we hold those who are in authority over us to a higher expected standard than we hold ourselves to. Or, at least, we expect greater consequences for their breaking that standard than we expect for ourselves. And, as minor as adminship is on a hobby forum/site in the grand scheme of the universe, it is still authority over that forum//site. Fair? No. Exists anyway? Yes. Something any current or aspiring BoD/admin should keep in mind.

In some ways, I think the organizational structure of M.A.I.L. is cumbersome for the type of resource it is, or has become, anyway, and some of the consequences of the choices made in writing the charter were not foreseen (duh, nobody can see the future Smile). I'm sure the choices were made with the best intents and the greatest of nobility, but it left a heck of a mess to deal with.

Currently, I have no suggestions to improve either situation.

My $0.02 at the moment.

Edit:
ElementalDragon wrote:
Something any current or aspiring BoD/admin should keep in mind.

And just because after sleeping I perceived that this particular statement could be a bit perceived as a bit provocative in one way or another, I'm going to clarify.

I have noticed in myself the sort of mental processes and words/actions that I mentioned, and I have noticed similar words/actions that might result from similar mental processes in others. Unfortunately, I feel like I came off as a bit of an arrogant know-it all with that statement. Considering I have no formal education in psychology and no real experience with a group as fractious as the one here can be, that was, well, uncalled for at the very least.


Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Joined: November 15, 2013
Posts: 22
Submissions: 15
Location: The outskirts of No Where

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

As I have been away for awhile dealing with family matters over the past year, I come back to this. I feel that I am not quite sure what is going on here.
So, while I am unable to offer up suggestions upon what started this, I can offer you why I became a member.
1) This forum has provided me access to people who have a lot more knowledge of weaves and techniques in construction of them. I had messaged a few members when I was making my hauberk, and thanks to them, because otherwise I probably would not have finished it (properly at least).
2) The library of weaves. While navigating through it at times seams difficult, it still is a valuable resource to me. Yes, having tutorials is something that I like finding on some of the weaves. But the challenge of figuring it out (provided there is a ring size/AR/material used) is just as rewarding for me.

If by some chance I did create a new pattern/weave, I doubt I would really even know. I enjoy weaving, it is relaxing to me, and it is something that I can do with my kids. If I have any suggestions it would be to somehow separate chain weaves and sheet weaves. It may not seam like a big deal, but I think it would help new weavers (myself included) navigate to a type of weave.


[Gator Jay][Here to learn more.]

Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

[url]
Gator_Jay wrote:
As I have been away for awhile dealing with family matters over the past year, I come back to this. I feel that I am not quite sure what is going on here.
So, while I am unable to offer up suggestions upon what started this, I can offer you why I became a member.
1) This forum has provided me access to people who have a lot more knowledge of weaves and techniques in construction of them. I had messaged a few members when I was making my hauberk, and thanks to them, because otherwise I probably would not have finished it (properly at least).
2) The library of weaves. While navigating through it at times seams difficult, it still is a valuable resource to me. Yes, having tutorials is something that I like finding on some of the weaves. But the challenge of figuring it out (provided there is a ring size/AR/material used) is just as rewarding for me.

If by some chance I did create a new pattern/weave, I doubt I would really even know. I enjoy weaving, it is relaxing to me, and it is something that I can do with my kids. If I have any suggestions it would be to somehow separate chain weaves and sheet weaves. It may not seam like a big deal, but I think it would help new weavers (myself included) navigate to a type of weave.

I like what you have to say.

Do you mean that you would like to be able to look at chain and sheet weaves separately? Because you can do that on the Weaves Home Page. You can check "chain" or "sheet" under "Form/Appearance". If that is not what you mean, let us know what you want to be able to see.


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Joined: February 14, 2013
Posts: 67
Submissions: 36
Location: Madison, WI, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Two points...

1 - There seems to be a recurring idea that anyone should be able to reproduce a weave based on the submitted photo or with a tutorial. This isn't realistic. Obviously, the weaves admin need be able to make the submitted weave in order to be able to verify... but there are plenty of weaves that are simply beyond the skill of many mailer/members, tutorial or no. Many users even get fumbled up on "simple" weaves like E4-1, JPL, or KVB...(if you are tuned in to any facebook mailing groups, you will know what I mean by this), and even very experienced mailers can get stumped on certain weaves, sometimes they just won't "click"...the ability to reproduce a given weave is going to depend more on an individual's personal ability more than on whether a step-by-step, insert tab "A" into slot "B" sort of approach ensures that everyone can make it. That being said, OF COURSE the weaves admin must be able to reproduce the piece, and certainly some weaves may require some sort of outline at the very least to illustrate the process to the admin, and absolutely, high quality photos MUST be provided to show the weave to everybody--but the idea that clear enough instruction be provided that "anyone can recreate the weave" doesn't hold water. [...but for sure, the fact that some weaves ever made it in, just based on the horrendous quality of the photos is beyond me...]

2 - The single best improvement that could be made to the weaves library, period, would be a simple option to find a weave on an alphabetic list. There are weaves you return to, again and again, that short of bookmarking in your browser--or using google to search for--simply cannot be gotten to quickly. Alphabetizing is the simplest form of organization I can think of, and why it's not included as an option, again, is beyond me.



Joined: June 20, 2012
Posts: 328
Submissions: 22
Location: France

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:10 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Confused
Weaves are shown in alphabetic order, you can search by name, and you can favorite any weave for a quick access within MAIL.

Joined: February 14, 2013
Posts: 67
Submissions: 36
Location: Madison, WI, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Only at a max of 50 at a time, by family. PITA



Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 696
Submissions: 14

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

madd_vyking wrote:
Only at a max of 50 at a time, by family. PITA


Acctually, by changing the URL you can show all 10xx weaves.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: February 14, 2013
Posts: 67
Submissions: 36
Location: Madison, WI, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would LOVE to know how to do this... By changing the URL to what?



Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 696
Submissions: 14

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:17 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Search with no boxes ticked.

Change true to false.

Change 50 to number wanted


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3107
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

madd_vyking wrote:
Only at a max of 50 at a time, by family. PITA


While you can search by anything (including checking nothing, and clicking search which will return the whole library), the weaves-per-page is capped at 50 due to simple server load, and bandwidth use.
You can muck with the URL to show more than 50, and the script will handle it as I have not set the 50 as a HARD cap...
Should URL mucking become a way of life, however, that alteration may need to be made based on server resources.



Joined: February 14, 2013
Posts: 67
Submissions: 36
Location: Madison, WI, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Tried going to the weaves page and clicking nothing and clicking search, and the return is "no results".

"Mucking with the URL" makes about as much sense to me as saying "&**^&%@^&^@&^".

Lots of us out here don't know didly about computers, believe it or not, and doing these things is not easy.

I'm really not suggesting that our search results return every weave and all the info about them. Just a list of weaves. Someplace where you can see a list of weaves, and a link to that weave. BAMM. You can already do it on the member page... There is a list of letters, you hit the letter "R", the list gives you everybody whose name starts with an "R". Easy-peasy. And that list has 22,811 members as of a few minutes ago. The weave list, I think, has only 1325 weaves in it currently. This has got to be do-able, and maybe I'm asking or suggesting something that is difficult to do, I have no idea, but, to the lay person, this seems easy.

Additionally, what about an alphabetical list that auto completes? As you add letters it narrows down the list of potential weaves? Just a search box, you type the first letter, and as you continue typing the weave name, the potential list gets progressively smaller.

I can't tell you how many times I want to look for something, but can't quite remember the name. Maybe I'm sure it starts with a "B". Maybe I can't remember the right spelling. Maybe there's 15 variations... Aura or the Tao weaves come to mind... Just being able to see a list of the names, and go right to the one you like... This is a normal thing. All kinds of sites have this feature. I don't understand why it is received as such a strange request or suggestion?



Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3107
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

madd_vyking wrote:
Tried going to the weaves page and clicking nothing and clicking search, and the return is "no results".

"Mucking with the URL" makes about as much sense to me as saying "&**^&%@^&^@&^".

Lots of us out here don't know didly about computers, believe it or not, and doing these things is not easy.


It's supposed to show you everything, but I see that it does not. I'll fix that.
For now: http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavelist.php

I understand that not everyone is computer savvy Smile

madd_vyking wrote:
I'm really not suggesting that our search results return every weave and all the info about them. Just a list of weaves. Someplace where you can see a list of weaves, and a link to that weave. BAMM. You can already do it on the member page... There is a list of letters, you hit the letter "R", the list gives you everybody whose name starts with an "R". Easy-peasy. And that list has 22,811 members as of a few minutes ago. The weave list, I think, has only 1325 weaves in it currently. This has got to be do-able, and maybe I'm asking or suggesting something that is difficult to do, I have no idea, but, to the lay person, this seems easy.


The member search script is part of the old site, and is still on the list to be recoded... It's actually QUITE a resource hit whenever it is used...
It will be going the way of the dodo eventually, and will be replaced with something else far more resource friendly.

madd_vyking wrote:
Additionally, what about an alphabetical list that auto completes? As you add letters it narrows down the list of potential weaves? Just a search box, you type the first letter, and as you continue typing the weave name, the potential list gets progressively smaller.


Actually, this already exists... Sort of...
It exists for the Admin staff when they are tagging weaves, it's something that should eventually come over to the rest of the site, once the Search Script is re-written.

madd_vyking wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I want to look for something, but can't quite remember the name. Maybe I'm sure it starts with a "B". Maybe I can't remember the right spelling. Maybe there's 15 variations... Aura or the Tao weaves come to mind... Just being able to see a list of the names, and go right to the one you like... This is a normal thing. All kinds of sites have this feature. I don't understand why it is received as such a strange request or suggestion?


I don't recall suggesting it was strange? It's certainly doable, it simply just doesn't currently exist.

Much of the "Search" that exists on the site is still old code, some of it I've tweaked to index the new databases, but it's still old code.
The Weave/Gallery/Articles "List" pages that the site generates are new, however.
The Weave List page, pulls a lot of information to generate its results page, and includes images, which is a bandwidth hit as well.
Any form of "Weave Master Index" would be sparse on both of these fronts, lacking in much information as well as images, simply a list of names.
It doesn't exists simply because it's never been asked for.
If it's something you'd like to see, please feel free to add it to the Feature Request thread, and it will go on the list Smile



Joined: February 14, 2013
Posts: 67
Submissions: 36
Location: Madison, WI, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
madd_vyking wrote:
Tried going to the weaves page and clicking nothing and clicking search, and the return is "no results".

"Mucking with the URL" makes about as much sense to me as saying "&**^&%@^&^@&^".

Lots of us out here don't know didly about computers, believe it or not, and doing these things is not easy.


It's supposed to show you everything, but I see that it does not. I'll fix that.
For now: http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavelist.php


This link is FABULOUS! If I had ever stumbled across this, I'd not really have wanted for more... Very Happy

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
I understand that not everyone is computer savvy Smile


I know, I'm sorry, my remark wasn't directed specifically to you, it's just a day in the life for those of us that aren't in the know when we speak to those of you that are... Wink

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
madd_vyking wrote:
I'm really not suggesting that our search results return every weave and all the info about them. Just a list of weaves. Someplace where you can see a list of weaves, and a link to that weave. BAMM. You can already do it on the member page... There is a list of letters, you hit the letter "R", the list gives you everybody whose name starts with an "R". Easy-peasy. And that list has 22,811 members as of a few minutes ago. The weave list, I think, has only 1325 weaves in it currently. This has got to be do-able, and maybe I'm asking or suggesting something that is difficult to do, I have no idea, but, to the lay person, this seems easy.


The member search script is part of the old site, and is still on the list to be recoded... It's actually QUITE a resource hit whenever it is used...
It will be going the way of the dodo eventually, and will be replaced with something else far more resource friendly.


...and this is where the not computer savvy/lay person naivete comes into play. What seems like it should be simple often is not, and we have no idea... Very Happy

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
madd_vyking wrote:
Additionally, what about an alphabetical list that auto completes? As you add letters it narrows down the list of potential weaves? Just a search box, you type the first letter, and as you continue typing the weave name, the potential list gets progressively smaller.


Actually, this already exists... Sort of...
It exists for the Admin staff when they are tagging weaves, it's something that should eventually come over to the rest of the site, once the Search Script is re-written.


That will be another fabulous addition... Very Happy

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
madd_vyking wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I want to look for something, but can't quite remember the name. Maybe I'm sure it starts with a "B". Maybe I can't remember the right spelling. Maybe there's 15 variations... Aura or the Tao weaves come to mind... Just being able to see a list of the names, and go right to the one you like... This is a normal thing. All kinds of sites have this feature. I don't understand why it is received as such a strange request or suggestion?


I don't recall suggesting it was strange? It's certainly doable, it simply just doesn't currently exist.


No one has ever said it specifically, and it was certainly not directed at you alone, it's seems to me to be the general sentiment every time I've brought it up... the status quo is defended, and the reasons why it can't be or shouldn't be done are trudged out... <shrug>

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Much of the "Search" that exists on the site is still old code, some of it I've tweaked to index the new databases, but it's still old code.
The Weave/Gallery/Articles "List" pages that the site generates are new, however.
The Weave List page, pulls a lot of information to generate its results page, and includes images, which is a bandwidth hit as well.
Any form of "Weave Master Index" would be sparse on both of these fronts, lacking in much information as well as images, simply a list of names.
It doesn't exists simply because it's never been asked for.
If it's something you'd like to see, please feel free to add it to the Feature Request thread, and it will go on the list Smile


Didn't realize such a thread existed... I'll be sure to visit it soon Smile

And, to illustrate my total lack of savvy... piecing up this post and quoting it the way I did took me SOOOOOO long to figure out. I'm sure there is an easier way, but it took me an inordinate amount of time to trudge my way through. It seems quoting the entire post is easy... inserting my stuff in between is giving me hives!



Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

madd_vyking wrote:
Tried going to the weaves page and clicking nothing and clicking search, and the return is "no results".

I KNEW I wasn't crazy! I KNEW IT! Very Happy


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 6 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
All times are GMT. The time now is Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 pm
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business
Display posts from previous: