deburring bright aluminum
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

deburring bright aluminum
Posted on Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am new to chain maille and I find it very relaxing. After all the work I put into a bracelet, there are too many burrs for me to except. I am seeking info on how to deburr my bright aluminum rings. Any help would be greatly.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 am

if you don't have a tumblr and the weave is fairly streamlined you may have success just rubbing it with a cloth.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu May 28, 2015 2:45 pm

A few people have been simply tying the piece in a sock, and tossing it a clots dryer with the laundry.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Those methods would work to polish it, but I don't think it will take care of your burrs.

Are you making your rings or buying them? You might have to look into a different method of making them if you are making your own. If you are buying them simply try to keep the closures tight and even and than it is just the ends not matching and not burrs.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:46 am

(Yes, I know this topic is a little old, but maybe this can still be helpful to the person or someone else)

If you're referring to the slight burrs that come about from cutting the rings, then I usually take those off while I'm weaving it. One method is to essentially rub the two cut ends together as you're going to join them (hard to describe, but you can experiment with it to figure it out). Another is just to use my thumbnail and flick it off as I go. I pretty much do this anyway, as I weave, just to make sure the joint is nice and smooth and won't catch on anything while it is being worn.

If the burr is large/strong enough for either of these two methods not to work, then you're probably doing something wrong in the cutting stage that needs to be addressed. Even tumbling with abrasive bit isn't going to fix a ring that has been cut badly to begin with.

For finished pieces that you REALLY want to try to save somehow, I would recommend just getting a small needle file, or sandpaper, and going over each of the problem joints. This may reduce the shininess of the rings in those areas if you're not careful, but it would still be better than rings that scratch you. Depending on the quality of the piece/materials, you can determine how careful you need to be with the sanding. If it's steel, it can handle quite a bit. Aluminum, not so much. Silver, be gentle because it needs to look nice.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1