How do I clean my new piece.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

How do I clean my new piece.
Posted on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I made a new beautiful bracelet and earrings. http://imgur.com/etDL2oC

It is Sterling silver 19g and anodized niobium 19g. Not sure What the weave is called. Problem is now it is tarnishing and I am scared to clean it because I don't know if it will hurt the anodized niobium. What can I do to clean it?

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm

That's really pretty. I damaged a silver/nio bracelet by tumbling it, so I agree that's not a good way to go. My suggestion would be baking soda: make a wet paste and rub with your fingers and maybe a soft toothbrush. Rinse with water and dry with a cloth. This works surprisingly well on silver and I've not had any problems with niobium. Probably not a good idea to soak it for a long time though.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

That's baking SODA not baking POWDER. Sodium bicarbonate.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:04 am

Very nice piece! Looks like a byzantine Olivia Variation to me.

I agree with the baking soda recommendation; it should not hurt the anodized rings.

This is what I use ...

Line a bowl with aluminum foil and add 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon liquid soap then 1 cup of HOT water. Soak, then rinse in cool water.

This does not work for aluminum though! I only use it for silver.

Submissions: 21

Posted on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Flutter's cleaning tip looks to me like it relies on a chemical reaction,
I'd be concerned using it without knowing exactly what was going to happen, particularly as there are multiple metals involved. at the very least I'd suggest making a test sample from some left over rings and seeing what happens.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1